Government policies that should be reversed

Hmmm, four times now then... ho humm :hihi:

The key word being "we", not the EU. We are not in schengen, we always had the power to control/mitigate both EU and non-EU migration issues long before they became real problems, we just couldn't be bothered.

That the people who directly caused this are the same people that have been entrusted to secure a successful Brexit deal really is (IMV) desperate wishful thinking. It was always destined to be a complete shambles, it's the UK way.

Immigration has existed at high levels under all recent governments. I dont care about party politics, I'm interested in how we as a country cope with the additional requirements. Under all successive governments, it hasnt been addressed. Do we just let rents spiral, build on more and more green belt? Is the need for more and more Starbucks and amazon warehouses worth the impact?

Immigration has existed at high levels under all recent governments. I dont care about party politics, I'm interested in how we as a country cope with the additional requirements.

Not by leaving the EU, that much is certain.

Under all successive governments, it hasnt been addressed.

.. it still hasn't been nor will it be, those who are really responsible have been allowed to hide behind the EU bogeyman and clearly are not going to be held to account to any degree, they're still running the show!

Voting to leave the EU based on immigration concerns is really an indication that you've been played for a fool (IMHO), they're *exactly* the sort of immigrants this country desperately needs.

It's OK, you can get upset about that, I really did say that one :rolleyes:

Edited by Magilla

Do we just let rents spiral, build on more and more green belt? Is the need for more and more Starbucks and amazon warehouses worth the impact?

The Conservatives brought in 'Help to buy', which just does nothing for renters, but it may help their own voters.

When/if we leave the EU, the Tories will still be looking after their own voters.

'Quantitative Easing' helped stoke up house prices too, they still did that, ok if you already own a house.

200 years ago the population was much, much lower and there was much more 'green belt'; should we stop advances in health that make the human race more successful?

How do you know I have a sudden love of the environment? You know nothing about me. If it makes any difference, I went to greenham common, capaigned in miners strike, did direct protests in anti apartheid, while you were in nappies, so reign in the know it all attitude.

I'm not anti immigration either. Start thinking before posting.

I had a think and, well you're saying a lot of things that sound anti-immigration. So that's the conclusion I've drawn.

You're not active on any threads about the environment and didn't start with that argument regarding immigration, hence, drawn a conclusion.

You see how that works?

---------- Post added 16-11-2018 at 07:24 ----------

I'll tell my immigrant mates about it tonight too, they'll have a good laugh.

Is this the equivalent of "I can't be racist, I've got a black friend"?

---------- Post added 16-11-2018 at 07:27 ----------

Part of the reason people voted leave was they were sick of being called racist or xenophobic, for voicing concerns about high levels of immigration.

To be concerened about the effects on housing availibilty, schools and health services isn't xenophobia, it is a legitimate concern held by a majority of people. Most of those people aren't racists, they are good people who care about others.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2018/04/27/where-public-stands-immigration

One of your earlier posts about immigration.

It started of as justification for why "other" people voted brexit, but before very long you were arguing about why immigration was a problem.

Yet, you claim that you aren't anti-immigration.

---------- Post added 16-11-2018 at 07:32 ----------

Ultimately, anyone who voted to leave the EU to control immigration (control, not end), but control here means lower doesn't it. Did so because they were mislead.

Yes, it will end free movement from the EU. But it will drive up immigration from other places of people who contribute less to the economy.

This shift in immigration will directly harm our economy and put a larger strain on infrastructure.

'Expanding as we are' is very very different to stopping immigration, wouldn't you agree? Dont bother apologising though.

So where precisely is your personal recomendation for the new developments, or did you really mean anywhere? Is there a limit when we should stop building, or just when all the land and woodland is actually full? And do you belive thats worth doing to chase higher gdp? Just so I understand your position clearly, cheers.

Go on then how do we stop expanding as we are?

---------- Post added 16-11-2018 at 11:56 ----------

Do we just let rents spiral, build on more and more green belt? Is the need for more and more Starbucks and amazon warehouses worth the impact?

If we build more then rents won't spiral 'cos there'll be more supply to cope with the demand..what's up,worried your house value will go down? :)

Go on then how do we stop expanding as we are?

---------- Post added 16-11-2018 at 11:56 ----------

If we build more then rents won't spiral 'cos there'll be more supply to cope with the demand..what's up,worried your house value will go down? :)

House prices aren't going down any, despite the number of houses going up, in fact I'd say the opposite.

The thing that's really going to bring house prices down is a big fat economic crash. And as it happens......

EDIT, and there's life outside London.

The thing that's really going to bring house prices down is a big fat economic crash. And as it happens......

EDIT, and there's life outside London.

Low house prices are no good if no one has an income to buy them with...so I don't think an economic crash is the best way :)

I had a think and, well you're saying a lot of things that sound anti-immigration. So that's the conclusion I've drawn.

You're not active on any threads about the environment and didn't start with that argument regarding immigration, hence, drawn a conclusion.

You see how that works?

---------- Post added 16-11-2018 at 07:24 ----------

Is this the equivalent of "I can't be racist, I've got a black friend"?

---------- Post added 16-11-2018 at 07:27 ----------

One of your earlier posts about immigration.

It started of as justification for why "other" people voted brexit, but before very long you were arguing about why immigration was a problem.

Yet, you claim that you aren't anti-immigration.

---------- Post added 16-11-2018 at 07:32 ----------

Ultimately, anyone who voted to leave the EU to control immigration (control, not end), but control here means lower doesn't it. Did so because they were mislead.

Yes, it will end free movement from the EU. But it will drive up immigration from other places of people who contribute less to the economy.

This shift in immigration will directly harm our economy and put a larger strain on infrastructure.

If you put your prejudice to one side for a moment, you might consider that a Leave supporter has legitimate concerns on other issues ( google Dennis Skinner). As you've said it is only partially brexit related anyway.

Talking about excessive immigration, doesn't make someone against immigration or against immigrants. I am certainly not against either.

I am concerned about the current state of our nhs, schools and housing. Do you think all those things are funded and robust enough to cope with more and more demand? I don't.

I'm not interested if its a tory or a labour problem. We are where we are today. Asking if the country can cope with 300k more people is a legitimate question. As I said before, Id be saying the same thing if it were 300k english clones.

So, are plans in place for the required additional housing, on top of the current shortage? Is the gdp benefit of the extra Costas, Amazon depots etc worth the other costs? Ie take a step back and look at the bigger picture of where we should be heading over 10-20 years.

It's a by-product of a headlong rush of globalised consumerism.

No , Brexit is a result of both Labour and Tory governments ignoring the public`s objections to mass immigration .

Or is it because they have ignored that lack of housing or sky-high prices and poor GPs waiting times?

Strangely, I have not seen anyone mention a big change, claiming benefits for more than 2 children. One of the few benefits cuts which is popular.