Cycle Lane past station

It's a vehicle excise duty based on CO2 EMISSIONS....

Please come assess me for any emissions I make while cycling, even if I have had beans on toast for breakfast... although if they are CH4 they are not CO2.

(Sighs)

For what it’s worth because Zi had all this crap the first time I raised it...

We weren’t the only pedestrians crossing the road at the recognised road crossing on the day my other half was smacked into by the cyclist at Fargate. There were other pedestrians crossing in front of us as there usually are at that crossing point. Not just one or two.

The bus at the Virgin store bus stop further down ie not directly in front of us but far enough away for pedestrians to quite clearly see it was stationary did not obstruct our view of oncoming buses, vans, cars or (we thought) bikes. The cyclist would and should have had a very clear view of the road ahead in fact the curve in the road SHOULD have given oncoming traffic a very good view of where there were people crossing the road but somehow the cyclist failed to see them and failed to slow his speed or stop

But after hitting my partner (barely missing me and others crossing behind us) he rode off without bothering to check that Chris was ok

that not going to work.... the hole in the argument is a hole in yours.

if i have a vehicle to use on the road i pay road tax whether its on the road or not and i have to do so for each vehicle i have no matter how many and that payment is for loads of time i'm not actually on the road with those vehicles

if you have a pedal cylcle regardless of how many other vehicles you have you dont pay road tax for a pedal cycle.

Now thats just silly..

why pay a congestion charge for each separate vehicle i own when i can only be out congesting with one vehicle at a time. ..

It's already been pointed out at least twice that there are zero rated motor vehicles though. Are you just being a bit slow now? :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 13-08-2018 at 21:30 ----------

(Sighs)

We weren’t the only pedestrians crossing the road at the recognised road crossing on the day my other half was smacked into by the cyclist at Fargate. There were other pedestrians crossing in front of us as there usually are at that crossing point. Not just one or two.

The bus at the Virgin store bus stop further down ie not directly in front of us but far enough away for pedestrians to quite clearly see it was stationary did not obstruct our view of oncoming buses, vans, cars or (we thought) bikes. The cyclist would and should have had a very clear view of the road ahead in fact the curve in the road SHOULD have given oncoming traffic a very good view of where there were people crossing the road but somehow the cyclist failed to see them and failed to slow his speed or stop

But after hitting my partner (barely missing me and others crossing behind us) he rode off without bothering to check that Chris was ok

Can you post a google street view of this recognised crossing, I just want to understand where it is.

---------- Post added 13-08-2018 at 21:32 ----------

I think you mean this bus stop.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3809186,-1.4703238,3a,75y,338.79h,82.2t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sh-Y7O6xE6B3UlZ9mtFKIBw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

But the buses are not in the carriageway...

---------- Post added 13-08-2018 at 21:33 ----------

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3819791,-1.4714675,3a,75y,338.79h,82.2t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJCjEYafC5j7kKd7fxLu24A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

And this is the closest crossing, but that's Leopold Street, not fargate. Fargate is pedestrianised so there are no crossings...

---------- Post added 13-08-2018 at 21:34 ----------

None of barkers pool, sydney street or pinstone street have a crossing. Although I have had pedestrians step out into the bike lane whilst I was travelling in it.

I'm going to speculate a little, but if you think the cyclist could see you, then that works both ways and you could see the cyclist... Right, that's how vision works?

Edited by Cyclone

Today around 4 ish there looked to be a lady cyclist face down on the road hit by a lorry at the Tesco at the Wicker. I hope she's ok.

It's already been pointed out at least twice that there are zero rated motor vehicles though. Are you just being a bit slow now? :thumbsup:

i love it how some pedalists really try to put emphasis on the very few vehicles requiring no road tax because of low emissions. well don't forget the vehicles that are over 40 years old. those two groups alone must add up to ooh i duno mayybe 1 maybe 2% of all the vehicles on the road.

OOOOOhhh shiny!!!

you are just hairsplitting and rather than emphasising your point you diminish all you have said because of the pettyness of your comment

as a general rule pedalists just ignore all the other ways in which they are completely not like other people that use motorised vehicles on the road.

and we all know some of them will say i have a car as well. but you can't drive both at once can you.

and BTW a car driver that has a motorcyle has to pass 6 tests to prove his/her competence to be on the road. all the pedalist needs is push-bike

the truth of the matter is you would argue black was white and are willing to ignore any facts that you cant dispute rather than concede any point that is made against pedal cycles being ridden where there are other people either on foot or in vehicles.

(Sighs)

Some people are ignorant idiots. It's not the choice of vehicle that makes them so.

Most people seem to exist in their own little bubble and forget there are other people on the world. It's like they've never grown post the age of 5 where they don't have the capability yet to understand they are not the only person and we live as a society.

People who just stop in doorways are one of my pet hates!

i love it how some pedalists really try to put emphasis on the very few vehicles requiring no road tax because of low emissions. well don't forget the vehicles that are over 40 years old. those two groups alone must add up to ooh i duno mayybe 1 maybe 2% of all the vehicles on the road.

OOOOOhhh shiny!!!

you are just hairsplitting and rather than emphasising your point you diminish all you have said because of the pettyness of your comment

as a general rule pedalists just ignore all the other ways in which they are completely not like other people that use motorised vehicles on the road.

and we all know some of them will say i have a car as well. but you can't drive both at once can you.

and BTW a car driver that has a motorcyle has to pass 6 tests to prove his/her competence to be on the road. all the pedalist needs is push-bike

the truth of the matter is you would argue black was white and are willing to ignore any facts that you cant dispute rather than concede any point that is made against pedal cycles being ridden where there are other people either on foot or in vehicles.

The fact that they exist is enough to invalidate your argument.

VED is based on emissions, cycles are zero emissions.

It's not hair splitting to point out when you're being absurd.

You're quite right, can't use both vehicles at once. So like I said, I'm doing you a favour, I reduce congestion and reduce pollution by not driving to work.

I routinely say that I have a problem with cyclists who jump lights or cycle on pavements. So, you're wrong, again.

OOOOOhhh shiny!!!

You're the one arguing that cars have more right to be on the road because they pay this "road tax". People are just asking for your view on the rights of those vehicles that also don't pay that tax...

As a general rule driverists ignore the ways they are supposed to use the road if they don't like the rules. I can make sweeping generalisations _based on my observation of a few, as well...

if you have a pedal cylcle regardless of how many other vehicles you have you dont pay road tax for a pedal cycle.

Sheffield council spend about 10% of their budget on planning, highways and transport. So anyone who pays council tax directly contributes to that. Since some of the council's money comes from central government, everybody contributes in some way even if it's only by buying something that VAT is applied to.

Then consider that cars wear out the roads at about 10000 times as fast as cycles - it's not unreasonable that motorists should pay more for their upkeep.

What a load of petty piffle on this thread.

Man up and ride a stallion.

Cyclists don't pay anything towards roads. That's my only gripe really. A license & insurance should be held for cyclists to use certain roads. Absurd not to consider them road users.

Cyclists don't pay anything towards roads.

Yes they do - see post #105.