IMPORTANT NEWS...

As previously warned, Sheffield Forum is changing to new software - view the preview here

This is scheduled for Sunday 18th Nov. The forum will be closed and unavailable an extended period of time (24-36 hours) to allow for this major transition.

Please note that some private messages will not be transferred. Therefore we strongly urge you to take manual back-ups of any important messages now.
Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Bands of the sixties

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield History & Expats

Reply To Topic

06-03-2003, 15:16   #21
mikey
Tottyrator

Total Posts: 1,879
Send a message via AIM to mikey Send a message via Yahoo to mikey
Graham
No - Local sax Player Steve Beighton - Has played with them all
06-03-2003, 15:22   #22
GrahamY

Total Posts: 1,122
I'll take your word for that. My next guess was going to be Marcus Saxilby on bass.
06-03-2003, 23:48   #23
zeke

Total Posts: 180
Been to Lathkildale loads of times in Who's Who?
Landlord had 3 gorgeous daughters!!
08-03-2003, 17:20   #24
Mike Higginson

Total Posts: 3
I came across this site by accident, but I played in a band in Sheffield in the sixties and have lost touch with all the other former members. We were called the 'Corvettes' and were originally a 4 piece band with Don on lead guitar, myself on rhythm guitar, Phil on bass and Frank on drums. Later we were joined by 2 girl singers, Kit and Chris. We played gigs at the Cutlers Hall, City Hall ballroom, pubs and clubs in the Sheffield area. Wednesday nights at the Station Hotel in Rotherham for 8, what a gig!

I'd love to here from any of the former band members, or anyone who remembers us.
08-03-2003, 18:24   #25
GrahamY

Mike, would that be Don Allison on lead?
09-03-2003, 23:06   #26
Derek Clayton

Total Posts: 68
What about the Baron Knights, The Rave Ons, Eric Baxter and his orchestra and the female singer that sang with the band ( can't remember her name)
_______
Trying to locate Margaret Marsden, born 9th June 1944 in Sheffield, lived at Meersbrooke Park Rd. Meersbrooke. Just want to say Hi to her.
11-03-2003, 00:28   #27
zeke

Does anybody on the forum know any of the names in the list below.
They were all in bands from '61 to 68, in particular the same band as me.

Eric Wells (bass)
Andre Mignon (rhythm/lead)
Mick Oliver (bass)
Tony Warburton (bass)
Brian Eades (manager)
Roger Partridge (singer)

Especially Eric Wells as we were best mates right up to when the band broke up in '68.
13-03-2003, 21:05   #28
Mike Higginson

Sorry! Don's surname was Butterell. He lived at Commonside.
13-03-2003, 21:08   #29
GrahamY

I know Don Butterell!
14-03-2003, 01:27   #30
zeke

A little kown fact of Sheffield history is that my group, Who's Who?, was the one to give Pete Stringfellow his big chance when we started running dances in the Tower ballroom.
This was to become the Mojo Club!
He had something we did not have...money!!
The rest, as they say, is history!!!
14-03-2003, 10:19   #31
Mike Higginson

This is great news! I would love to be in touch again after so many years. Please pass a message to him & see if he wants to get in touch
14-03-2003, 21:57   #32
Donny B Good

Total Posts: 82
Just when you thought you could forget the distant past some-one wants to relive it!

Don't know about you Graham Y, but I think we should accept that we're badling old F**ts and enjoy what's left of our lives, rather than reliving our 60's glory days of legends in our lunchtime!

Go see some of todays country bands, they knock the socks of what we used to be.

(Except the great Dave Hawley who could still hold his own with any of them!!)
14-03-2003, 22:13   #33
mikey
Tottyrator

Which country bands?

Do we have some in Sheff or are you talkin about americans. I'm more into Acoustic music myself, but I do like a bit of country
14-03-2003, 22:35   #34
Donny B Good

Total Posts: 82
Mostly American I'm afraid, Steve Early is coming next month, BR549 in a couple of weeks (to Mansfield Rd ballroom), Alison Moorer brought her band there last year, have a look at www.jewelspromotions.com
Stuart books most of the visiting bands.

Most of the locals I've heard are strictly working men's club standard (as we were in the 60's, and I don't mean to criticise, it's just that country music can't be done with any British regional accent and there's nothing worse than a phoney American one!)
15-03-2003, 00:12   #35
mikey
Tottyrator

Hey Donny be good

The great Steve Earle, had more coke up his nose than a 2 yr old trying to drink out of a can of pepsi.

he produced one of my all time great songs, and funny enough its called
Honey be Good by The Bible (underated band from the UK starring Boo Hewerdine and Neil Mcoll (Kirsty's Brother))

Check it out - Download it off the net you won't be dissapointed
10-04-2003, 09:55   #36
mikey
Tottyrator

Does Dave Hawley still play around Sheffield, is he in a band.

Just heard his son Richard Hawley has rescheduled his gig at the leadmill, he had to cancel due to problems with his hand.

One other point the Old Mucky Duck (Black Swan) is still one of Sheffield top music venues. Now called the Boardwalk.

www.theboardwalklive.co.uk
10-04-2003, 10:29   #37
GrahamY

Unfortunately, Dave doesn't play any more. That is his choice, which we must respect. He is alive and well, though. :-)
19-04-2003, 11:35   #38
Cycleracer

Total Posts: 4,452
Bitter suite and there version of Butter fly ball was brill, also remember New Jersey Turnpike and Tyke.
O haras playboys well Mr O Hara still does the circuit but on his own these days and although he is now a shadow of his former self i try to get to see him in my local now and again.

Paul
06-05-2003, 01:21   #39
jimbol

Total Posts: 34
I remember going to the Saturday morning flicks at the Gaumont cinema in Barkers Pool in the early 60's and there was always a local band on first. Can't recall any of the names, but may well have been some of the ones mentioned. And in case you're wondering how a band played at the cinema, the Gaumont had a stage as well as a screen.

Someone mentioned Bitter Suite - 3 of them still play together under the name Phil Brodie Band. They are fantastic players - if you like Hendrix, Gary Moore, Stevie Ray Vaughan etc go and see them, you won't be disappointed.

Keep on rocking!

Jim
_______
So long and thanks for all the fish!
16-05-2003, 11:16   #40
Janet Olsen

Total Posts: 203
Hi there, I can give you a bit of a lead re: Dene Marshall from Dene Marshall & the Deputy's. Dene was actually Barry Marshall who went on to play with the LIZARDS & also ended up with the SQUARE CIRCLES I think.
Guys who played with them were Gerry Scanlan, Billy Durrant Phil Squires & there was also Alan Dale as singer of the Squiare Circles.
These two bands were very popular in the late 60's early 70's & good bands too. Would love to hear any news of any of them if anyone has any.
Reply To Topic