IMPORTANT NEWS...

As previously warned, Sheffield Forum is changing to new software - view the preview here

This is scheduled for Sunday 18th Nov. The forum will be closed and unavailable an extended period of time (24-36 hours) to allow for this major transition.

Please note that some private messages will not be transferred. Therefore we strongly urge you to take manual back-ups of any important messages now.
Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Dentists and experiences in the past

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield History & Expats

Reply To Topic

01-08-2018, 11:12   #1
trans

Total Posts: 405
The first dentists was in Albert Terrace rd opposite the boiler at the Infirmary forgot what they called him. Flint was at the corner of Oxford St and Upperthorpe rd. The worst one I went to was in the old police station at the bottom of Burgoyne rd / Langsett rd. The dentist was called Ball I went for fillings and the injection did not work. He brought me down to my mother and he said@ can't do anything you will have to wait for them all to rot. what an <removed>. that tainted me for life and I was in my early teens.

Last edited by nikki-red; 02-08-2018 at 09:49.
01-08-2018, 11:26   #2
mike-s

Total Posts: 731
Similar experience myself, at age 15 i walked from the Basegreen estate to the dentist on Ridgeway Rd near the Manor Top, alone because mum was ill at the time. I was'nt aware of any big problems, thought I might need a couple of fillings perhaps. Came out minus five teeth, think he must have been on commission, then had to walk the three miles back with blood pouring. Can't imagine it would be allowed these days. I've been conscious of the gaps all my life.
01-08-2018, 13:58   #3
trastrick

Total Posts: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-s View Post
Similar experience myself, at age 15 i walked from the Basegreen estate to the dentist on Ridgeway Rd near the Manor Top, alone because mum was ill at the time. I was'nt aware of any big problems, thought I might need a couple of fillings perhaps. Came out minus five teeth, think he must have been on commission, then had to walk the three miles back with blood pouring. Can't imagine it would be allowed these days. I've been conscious of the gaps all my life.
At the infamous LowFields dental clinic for trainees, they yanked 4 of my adult teeth. Never heard of fillings. I had problems ever since!

Fast forward to Canada 50 years later a real dentist showed me ex-rays that 3 of them had just been broken off below the surface, not actually pulled out, and he asked if this was done at home? Lol!

He fixed me up with a healthy mouth and a decent smile and chew, and I never looked back!

Can't blame the students, though, it was all free, and as I've learned you generally get what you pay for!

Now I spend the winters in the Dominican Republic, and it's the same old thing down there, lots of pain, and I actually had to jump out the chair when I had gone in for a missing crown, and she started to pull out 2 of my good teeth on the other side of my mouth!

Last edited by trastrick; 01-08-2018 at 14:09.
01-08-2018, 19:47   #4
jaffa1

Total Posts: 1,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by trans View Post
The first dentists was in Albert Terrace rd opposite the boiler at the Infirmary forgot what they called him. Flint was at the corner of Oxford St and Upperthorpe rd. The worst one I went to was in the old police station at the bottom of Burgoyne rd / Langsett rd. The dentist was called Ball I went for fillings and the injection did not work. He brought me down to my mother and he said@ can't do anything you will have to wait for them all to rot. what an <removed>. that tainted me for life and I was in my early teens.
Flint was nick named the butcher, he was at the bottom of Victor Street/ Infirmary Road. He had a real bad reputation.

Last edited by nikki-red; 02-08-2018 at 09:49.
01-08-2018, 21:01   #5
zach

Total Posts: 267
The grey caravan on the drive of Oughtibridge school was my first encounter.

And then he came...

An animal of a human that used to drill our teeth with no local numb. I still remember screaming my head off before and during the visit. Both of us have had a deep fear of dentists ever since. Although todays dentists are a new breed and if I'm honest, very little in the way of pain. I still have to find a bit of get up and go when I get the text.

I'll have to have a word with my mum and find out the animals dentists name at Stocksbridge and report back.
01-08-2018, 21:05   #6
Daven

Total Posts: 10,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach View Post
The grey caravan on the drive of Oughtibridge school was my first encounter.

And then he came...

An animal of a human that used to drill our teeth with no local numb. I still remember screaming my head off before and during the visit. Both of us have had a deep fear of dentists ever since. Although todays dentists are a new breed and if I'm honest, very little in the way of pain. I still have to find a bit of get up and go when I get the text.

I'll have to have a word with my mum and find out the animals dentists name at Stocksbridge and report back.
The grey van in the playground at Stannington was the first dental encounter I remember.
His name was Mr Kershaw and his assistant was his wife.
I had an extraction with gas and then had to walk home with my Mum - vomiting all the way home
Can you imagine that being allowed now ?
_______
My lovely Mum who lived with Alzheimers Disease for 9 years
RIP 15/3/18
A true lady passed this way.
01-08-2018, 21:59   #7
alarmingmark

Total Posts: 592
Was it Kelsey?
02-08-2018, 07:22   #8
zach

Total Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daven View Post
The grey van in the playground at Stannington was the first dental encounter I remember.
His name was Mr Kershaw and his assistant was his wife.
I had an extraction with gas and then had to walk home with my Mum - vomiting all the way home
Can you imagine that being allowed now ?
I think I had a tooth pulled in the grey caravan too. The black face mask, the smell...then you wake up feeling pretty rough.

I was talking to my dentist about the drilling with no numbing and she said it was common practice! As far as I'm concerned, it was only common practice as a torture aid in a film I once watched. As you say, can you imagine what would happen if they did that these days. I think a lot of dentists would be doing time!
02-08-2018, 08:01   #9
steved32

Total Posts: 222
I'm an Attercliffe baby-boomer and part of a generation of kids who had a mouthful of fillings courtesy of Darnall's "Butcher Bentall".

If you've seen the Dustin Hoffman character having his tooth drilled to the nerve in "Marathon Man", then that was a passable representation of Mr Bentall's surgery.
02-08-2018, 08:17   #10
Sweetcheeks

Total Posts: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved32 View Post
I'm an Attercliffe baby-boomer and part of a generation of kids who had a mouthful of fillings courtesy of Darnall's "Butcher Bentall".

If you've seen the Dustin Hoffman character having his tooth drilled to the nerve in "Marathon Man", then that was a passable representation of Mr Bentall's surgery.
Hi steved32, Yes I fully agree to your remarks about Butcher Bentall! He had his surgery adjacent to Beighton Street on Darnall at the bottom of Handsworth Hill. He was impatient, rude and nasty especially with the kids and scarred them for life. He didn't pull teeth, he dragged them in a sideways motion which damaged the gum considerably. He usually had 2 patients on the go at any one time, one upstairs one down. Remember the buzzer that he continually pressed to alert his receptionist cum-assistant? Sorry to admit this, but I dreaded and hated this guy and still do! Thankfully his like are now obsolete and a visit to the dentist is the opposite of what we encountered.
02-08-2018, 09:48   #11
Daven

Total Posts: 10,960
https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/sho...d.php?t=237502

You all might find this old thread of interest.
_______
My lovely Mum who lived with Alzheimers Disease for 9 years
RIP 15/3/18
A true lady passed this way.
02-08-2018, 14:17   #12
steved32

Total Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetcheeks View Post
Hi steved32, Yes I fully agree to your remarks about Butcher Bentall! He had his surgery adjacent to Beighton Street on Darnall at the bottom of Handsworth Hill. He was impatient, rude and nasty especially with the kids and scarred them for life. He didn't pull teeth, he dragged them in a sideways motion which damaged the gum considerably. He usually had 2 patients on the go at any one time, one upstairs one down. Remember the buzzer that he continually pressed to alert his receptionist cum-assistant? Sorry to admit this, but I dreaded and hated this guy and still do! Thankfully his like are now obsolete and a visit to the dentist is the opposite of what we encountered.
Thanks for this SC. You've jogged my ageing memory! Yes, I do remember that buzzer. Butcher Bentall's Buzzer of Brutality.
02-08-2018, 19:04   #13
rozweb

Total Posts: 54
Butcher Bentall - yes I think a few of us have posted on here before about him. He was a right sadist and he used to smoke while he was filling your (probably healthy teeth). He did use injections to numb your mouth though- he used to put his foot on the chair to get extra leverage when he was ramming the needle in as far as he could. Like you said some of us are scarred for life!
03-08-2018, 20:24   #14
Erin

Total Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by trastrick View Post
At the infamous LowFields dental clinic for trainees, they yanked 4 of my adult teeth. Never heard of fillings. I had problems ever since!

Fast forward to Canada 50 years later a real dentist showed me ex-rays that 3 of them had just been broken off below the surface, not actually pulled out, and he asked if this was done at home? Lol!

He fixed me up with a healthy mouth and a decent smile and chew, and I never looked back!

Can't blame the students, though, it was all free, and as I've learned you generally get what you pay for!

Now I spend the winters in the Dominican Republic, and it's the same old thing down there, lots of pain, and I actually had to jump out the chair when I had gone in for a missing crown, and she started to pull out 2 of my good teeth on the other side of my mouth!
Lowfield school, now I find out they were student dentist. Im sure they filled all my back teeth to the max for the hell of it. Every tooth they did has had to be crowned over the years. I know its not just me either, there are loads of similar bad stories
03-08-2018, 20:41   #15
choogling

Total Posts: 3,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach View Post
I think I had a tooth pulled in the grey caravan too. The black face mask, the smell...then you wake up feeling pretty rough.

I was talking to my dentist about the drilling with no numbing and she said it was common practice! As far as I'm concerned, it was only common practice as a torture aid in a film I once watched. As you say, can you imagine what would happen if they did that these days. I think a lot of dentists would be doing time!
I had about five fillings in 1965 done by the army dentist at bovington camp Dorset, cant remember being in much pain. Just remembered, I was fascinated with the drilling machine the dentist used, it had small pulleys and a belt drive on view, not the air operated type we have now about ten years later I was surprised at being given a jab for another filling ,that was in Sheffield.

Last edited by choogling; 03-08-2018 at 20:53.
05-08-2018, 16:59   #16
winks

Total Posts: 57
Seen a few posts about butcher Bentall and this has brought back many bad memories. I seem to remember his with ginger hair. Hated that dentist as he used to strap the big black mask on my face then walk away and do something else. I used to wake feeling like l had been walloped many many times. As a result I had a fear of dentists so lost quite a few teeth through not going to dentists.
09-08-2018, 10:31   #17
Person6

Total Posts: 188
I'd almost forgotten about Bentall. My mother took me to him for a checkup when I was about 7. I didn't need anything doing but he still left me with a mouthful of blood after all his poking about. I remember him smoking throughout the ordeal, there was a curtain across an alcove and he put his fag on a shelf in there when he needed both hands. My mother cried when she saw the state of me and had a shouting match with him. Never went back there.
09-08-2018, 10:51   #18
Vasquez Rich

Total Posts: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-s View Post
I have a mouthful of metal thanks to those guys. Serial fillers of good teeth in my opinion.

Richard
10-08-2018, 09:18   #19
old tup

Total Posts: 1,327
Correct me if I,m wrong but at the bottom of Burgoyne Road was there two dentist practices on opposite sides of Infirmary Road?.Any how my dear old dad visited one of them when I was a youngster walking from Owlerton to be told the lot had to come out,he had a mouth full of teeth which the dentist promptly pulled out after knocking him out with gas!.He walked all the way back with blood dripping everywhere,he was a tough old bird my dad no doubt about it!.Coming forward to nowadays I visited my local dentist who has since been struck off for a wisdom tooth removed,he pumped me full of pain killer and I sat in the chair waiting for him!.Just then a bloke came in complaining about his new false teeth demanding his money back,this developed into a feffing and blinding shouting match lasting quite a time,I turned to the female assistant and said in my best Quasimodo impersonation "I hope he doesn't come in here and take it out on me!".I think he heard me because when he entered he asked the girl "Give me the cow horns!"frightening me to death!.
_______
I only did it for a giggle!--Your Honour!
10-08-2018, 13:12   #20
hillsbro

Total Posts: 6,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by old tup View Post
Correct me if I,m wrong but at the bottom of Burgoyne Road was there two dentist practices on opposite sides of Infirmary Road?...
That's right - in the 1950s William Wild was the dentist in the big house on the corner of Burgoyne Road, and just across (Langsett) Road was Derek Thompson. The latter building has been a dental surgery since the 1920s (my grandma went there) and it's now Thompson & Thomas, Derek Thompson's son David being a partner (he's my dentist - and a very good one!)

_______
Live like you mean it.
Reply To Topic