What other "UK singles chart" compilers are there?

I am trying to find out what other singles chart compilers there were apart from The British Market Research Bureau (BMRB) and Gallup, who compiled the charts used by the BBC on Top Of The Pops and Radio One?

I understand that The Network Chart Show, a radio programme launched across Independent Local Radio, in 1984, used the chart compiled by the Media Research Information Bureau (MRIB).

But, what I would like to know is, prior to 1984, was there any other chart compilers different to BMRB, that maybe used airplay, as well as sales data to compile charts for independent local radio stations in the 70's?

And are there any books out there, similar to The Guinness Book Of British Hit Singles, that show charts compiled by other research bureaux's?

Thanks.

---------- Post added 02-02-2013 at 17:08 ----------

I believe there was something called The Record Business Magazine Chart, prior to 1984, for Independant Radio.

I am trying to find out what other singles chart compilers there were apart from The British Market Research Bureau (BMRB) and Gallup, who compiled the charts used by the BBC on Top Of The Pops and Radio One?

I understand that The Network Chart Show, a radio programme launched across Independent Local Radio, in 1984, used the chart compiled by the Media Research Information Bureau (MRIB).

But, what I would like to know is, prior to 1984, was there any other chart compilers different to BMRB, that maybe used airplay, as well as sales data to compile charts for independent local radio stations in the 70's?

And are there any books out there, similar to The Guinness Book Of British Hit Singles, that show charts compiled by other research bureaux's?

Thanks.

---------- Post added 02-02-2013 at 17:08 ----------

I believe there was something called The Record Business Magazine Chart, prior to 1984, for Independant Radio.

Never seen any book other than the Guinness editions which have now been superseded by ones from Virgin-with loads of mistakes in.

Weekly music newspapers (NME, MM, Sounds, et al) used to print charts that if I remember right differed from the ones on Radio 1. The NME printed the first singles chart in this country in 52. You could try researching where they got those charts from.

Last contributor mentions music paper charts.This was precisely the reason I bought Record Mirror every Thursday in the mid to late 70's and early 80's because this was the paper and subsequently magazine that published the "true charts" and I was rather obsessed with the chart at that stage.I remember one very quirky thing re chart history.Used to listen to Fab 208 : Radio Luxembourg which as all people of a certain age will remember used to fade in and out alarmingly as the satellite travelled round the earth.

One night on the Peter Stuyvessant top 40 show they said that two versions of the same song: Don't leave me this way by Harold Melvin(the late great Teddy Pendergrass) and Thelma Houston were at equal number 22 in the run down.I always thought this was highly unlikely to say the least.I also enjoyed the American top 40 with Casey Kasem (the voice of Scooby Doo's SHaggy)on AFN but I was a bit of a geek.

.I also enjoyed the American top 40 with Casey Kasem (the voice of Scooby Doo's SHaggy)on AFN but I was a bit of a geek.

Now repeated every Saturday lunch on Smooth 70's radio.

Last contributor mentions music paper charts.This was precisely the reason I bought Record Mirror every Thursday in the mid to late 70's and early 80's because this was the paper and subsequently magazine that published the "true charts" and I was rather obsessed with the chart at that stage.I remember one very quirky thing re chart history.Used to listen to Fab 208 : Radio Luxembourg which as all people of a certain age will remember used to fade in and out alarmingly as the satellite travelled round the earth.

One night on the Peter Stuyvessant top 40 show they said that two versions of the same song: Don't leave me this way by Harold Melvin(the late great Teddy Pendergrass) and Thelma Houston were at equal number 22 in the run down.I always thought this was highly unlikely to say the least.I also enjoyed the American top 40 with Casey Kasem (the voice of Scooby Doo's SHaggy)on AFN but I was a bit of a geek.

I used to listen occasionally to the Radio Luxembourg chart, presented by Bob Stewart, around 1977/8 period, and the chart was very different to the chart used by Top Of The Pops in the UK.

I remember "From East To West/Scotts Machine" by Voyage being at number one!

I don't know whether you know treeko1, when independent "commercial" local radio stations in the UK, began doing their own chart run-downs to rival the BBC on a Sunday?

I thought it could have been as early as 1978, but at that time, which chart compilers data would these stations have used instead of The British Market Research Bureaux (BMRB), which was used by the Beeb at that time?

The commercial radio chart always had exactly the same top 10 as the Music Week chart then a different 11 to 40.I always thought their charts were made up.

A very good question re when commercial stations went their own way with their chart compilation.I'm afraid my memory is not that good and as I said I wasn't that interested in alternatives.However you may be right re the date as commercial Radio had really taken off by then.What I do remember is that Radio Hallam had started in 1974! the "late Martin kelner show"