J.J. Abrams to Direct Star Wars?

According to this article, the man behind Star Trek and Super 8 is currently in the frame to direct Disney's new Star Wars...

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/jj-abrams-set-direct-next-star-wars-film-exclusive-74596

I think it is a wise choice and he is an accomplished film maker, I feel the force is strong with this one.

I'm still awaiting any official confirmation on this news. Hundreds of articles so far, all quoting The Wrap (or another article that quoted The Wrap), and no-one has had any official contact with Lucasfilm, Disney, or Bad Robot on the news.

Wasn't it only a month and a bit ago that Vaughn was 'confirmed'?

If it turns out to be true, I'm confident Abrams will do a good job.

Abrams is one of the most overrated directors ever, I wouldnt hold much hope for anything he has a hand in.

Well, can he do any worse than Lucas?

I liked Super 8, and thought he made a great job of Star Trek, so I would be confident he could do a good job.

Let's face it, The Empire Strikes back was the best film, Star Wars was good, the rest were average at best.

http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-is-being-kick-started-with-dynamite-jj-abrams-to-direct-star-wars-episode-vii.html

Took its time, but finally confirmation arrived from official sources (and you don't get more official than Starwars.com)

Do I think he's right for the gig? I don't deny that Abrams is a great director, but I'm on the fence as to how 'star wars' he is. He's done a great job on Trek, in rebooting it and generating a classic trek 'fun' feel, but Wars is a different kettle of fish.

I do have confidence that he will deliver a great film, but just hope he can keep his own eccentricities to a minimum (and yes, I am talking about lens flare here - I love it in Trek, but Wars doesn't need the gimmick).

The film has a strong writer, and has Kasdan overseeing production too, so it should feel like it fits in the franchise well (unlike, say, Phantom Menace which just doesn't fit...see link posted yesterday).

2015 is going to be a interesting year. I suppose the only shame now is that Abrams will likely step down from Trek, acting only as a producer from now on...but I was kind of expecting that anyway.

They should just use the story from the original KOTOR game and make a film out of that as that storyline was pretty good, and moves it far enough away from the previous six star wars as to not have to worry about continuity. Like star trek having to change the time line in order to revisit the original series style.