What's the cheapest way to get Sky?

I got a deal in meadow hall, 62 quid a month for a great package:)

Holy crap! That's over 600 quid a year for massive amounts of crap and repeats of the Simpsons! Noooo, I was thinking more like £100 a year, then cancel, then use the dish for Freesat!

The cheapest way is to use an old Sky box & dish, & just buy some coax & plugs (& clips).

It's easy to install a dish without spending loads of money - just do it yourself. When we moved to this house Sky wouldn't send anybody out to install the dish because we didn't have a phone line to start with.

I hung the dish just outside the living room window, ran coax to the LNB & switched everything on with the TV on the window ledge so I could see it from outside, set the sky box to monitor the signal strength & watched it whilst swinging the the dish from one side to the other (if you don't get a signal, just tilt it up or down slightly, then swing it again). Initial direction is just somewhere where other dishes seem to be pointing - with the edge of the dish being roughly vertical.

When you get a signal nip up the bolts slightly, then go left/right/up/down to maximise the signal. When the signal is maxed out, lock up the bolts tightly, making sure the dish doesn't move as you do this by monitoring the signal strength.

I've even used this method for aligning a 5ft dish on a home made polar mount in the old days, and a 5ft dish is a lot more directional than a modern small one!

Incidentally, after the professionals installed the dish (presumably using a meter) I had problems getting some channels in overcast weather, due to mis-alignment.

Don't forget you'll need a Sky card for the free channels. I think the cost of the card is a one off payment of around £15 (just check the Sky website).

New Channels have just tweeted this:

**TODAY ONLY** HALF PRICE SKY TV for 6 months. PLUS HALF PRICE LINE line rental of 12 months. PLUS FREE box & Install. Call 01909 562266