Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

The top and bottom of this is, no matter how much hot air about homeless "not beggars" are spoken, no matter how much money is thrown at it, homelessness in any country will never be eradicated.

i challenge any poster to enlighten this thread of any country in the world that has got no homeless people living on the street?

In other countries it may be down to poverty. However in the UK it seems a bit different. We have people on the streets about 14 or so according to the councils own figures. Lets say they are right. Why are they still on the streets now. We have the Archer project and Bens Centre. We know where they are. I know we have a housing shortage but surely they can house the 14 people wandering the streets. However reality is they have probably been offered accommodation but turned it down.

I remember a lot of talk of a guy who was called Honda. I dont know if that was his name. He died on the streets. According to a lot of people commenting on social media he had accommodation yet for some reason chose to be on the streets. I dont understand why they are incapable of living in accommodation and risk in this case their lives.

In other countries it may be down to poverty. However in the UK it seems a bit different. We have people on the streets about 14 or so according to the councils own figures. Lets say they are right. Why are they still on the streets now. We have the Archer project and Bens Centre. We know where they are. I know we have a housing shortage but surely they can house the 14 people wandering the streets. However reality is they have probably been offered accommodation but turned it down.

I remember a lot of talk of a guy who was called Honda. I dont know if that was his name. He died on the streets. According to a lot of people commenting on social media he had accommodation yet for some reason chose to be on the streets. I dont understand why they are incapable of living in accommodation and risk in this case their lives.

Mental illness?

There's an awful lot out there, and not much help.

64 pages in, after multiple explanations, woodmally still doesn't understand!

---------- Post added 20-08-2018 at 07:18 ----------

The top and bottom of this is, no matter how much hot air about homeless "not beggars" are spoken, no matter how much money is thrown at it, homelessness in any country will never be eradicated.

i challenge any poster to enlighten this thread of any country in the world that has got no homeless people living on the street?

Japan has the lowest measured level in the world, we should look at how they achieve this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homelessness_in_Japan

Homelessness in the UK is not the same as rough sleeping though, FYI.

[/b]

Mental illness?

There's an awful lot out there, and not much help.

Agreed. But would there be as rough sleepers if people did not hand out 'spare change'? It's funding vulnerable people to self medicate.

64 pages in, after multiple explanations, woodmally still doesn't understand!

---------- Post added 20-08-2018 at 07:18 ----------

Japan has the lowest measured level in the world, we should look at how they achieve this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homelessness_in_Japan

Homelessness in the UK is not the same as rough sleeping though, FYI.

What do I not understand?

64 pages in or 164 pages in , what people are failing to understand is that comparing figures from anywhere but not looking at the actual issues serves no purpose , the " homeless " situation in Sheffield is primarily a rough sleeping problem where we have a small but hardcore group of individuals who for whatever reason have decided that they want , yes WANT to behave in this manner , you can cry neigh all you like but that is what PERPETUATES THIS MYTH that sheffeild is full of homeless people , this denegrates the genuine homeless who can and do access srvices that are more than willing and able to assist in their situation , our rough sleepers do not wish to engage , do not wish to conform and do not wish to alter their lifestyle , or at least the majority of them do not wish to do so , pretending otherwise because it is not deemed socially acceptable to blame them for their situation is what makes the problem worse .

64 pages in or 164 pages in , what people are failing to understand is that comparing figures from anywhere but not looking at the actual issues serves no purpose , the " homeless " situation in Sheffield is primarily a rough sleeping problem where we have a small but hardcore group of individuals who for whatever reason have decided that they want , yes WANT to behave in this manner , you can cry neigh all you like but that is what PERPETUATES THIS MYTH that sheffeild is full of homeless people , this denegrates the genuine homeless who can and do access srvices that are more than willing and able to assist in their situation , our rough sleepers do not wish to engage , do not wish to conform and do not wish to alter their lifestyle , or at least the majority of them do not wish to do so , pretending otherwise because it is not deemed socially acceptable to blame them for their situation is what makes the problem worse .

Spot on!!!!

Absolutely spot on.

I’ve dealt with these people at work on more occasions than I can remember and can confirm this is the case. 100%.

Absolutely spot on.

I’ve dealt with these people at work on more occasions than I can remember and can confirm this is the case. 100%.

I'm glad others see it. Unfortunately though we have a group of people in Sheffield the "walk a mile in their shoes" brigade who believe they need help (which they do and thats fine) but to give them money!

The only way we are to tackle this problem is to not give any money at all. Food, drink clothing etc yes but money no.

A step in the right direction but probably just a drop in the ocean. No doubt someone has already taken his place selling the stuff?

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/man-charged-with-allegedly-dealing-spice-in-sheffield-city-centre-1-9310903

Sorry its not good enough by any stretch of the imagination. They are openly dealing it in the city centre in full view of people. There are people in possession of this stuff in full view of people in the city centre. A police officer on patrol for say two hours a week would pick up a few suspects easy.

I notice some benches at the cathedral where a lot of spice users/people/dealers were hanging out have been removed in the last few days. Possibly to discourage them being there?