What is so good about Sheffield City Centre?

Guest makapaka
Inside , beautiful . Outside, beautiful . The surrounding grounds :gag:

What’s wrong with the grounds?

What’s wrong with the grounds?

See my post 454

Guest makapaka
See my post 454

That’s the archer project for the homeless isn’t it.

You didn’t ask if the cathedral and galleries made sheffield a must-go-to tourist destination. You asked me if i visited them.

Both contribute to the city centre and it would be worse off for them not being there.

You visit the cathedral weekly though. And I assume you don't mean that you get off the tram stop outside once a week?

Guest makapaka
You visit the cathedral weekly though. And I assume you don't mean that you get off the tram stop outside once a week?

No I don’t visit it week and never said I did..

What are you trying to establish - that the cathedral isn’t contributing to the city because people don’t visit it weekly?

I don’t visit John Lewis or any of th other shops on a weekly basis either.

What places do people visit in Leeds on a weekly basis?

No I don’t visit it week and never said I did..

What are you trying to establish - that the cathedral isn’t contributing to the city because people don’t visit it weekly?

I don’t visit John Lewis or any of th other shops on a weekly basis either.

What places do people visit in Leeds on a weekly basis?

Hmmm... :huh:

... the Job Centre? :confused:

Quite often. Why?

My apologies. It was "quite often", not weekly, that you visit the cathedral...

And you'll note that I've nothing against Sheffield city centre, but the cathedral isn't a major attraction and the winter gardens is a small indoor garden that is only interesting to see once.

I wouldn't go to Leeds to see a cathedral or a small indoor garden either!

I've never visited St Paul's cathedral or the Notre Dame, despite having been to the cities where they're located.

Guest makapaka
My apologies. It was "quite often", not weekly, that you visit the cathedral...

And you'll note that I've nothing against Sheffield city centre, but the cathedral isn't a major attraction and the winter gardens is a small indoor garden that is only interesting to see once.

I wouldn't go to Leeds to see a cathedral or a small indoor garden either!

I've never visited St Paul's cathedral or the Notre Dame, despite having been to the cities where they're located.

If you measure things as uninteresting once you have seen them once you’re going to be disappointed in most instances.

This aspect of the discussion started as someone mentioned them as being attractions in the city centre - which they are. The fact is some people will use them more than others or appreciate them more/less .

Don't you? I don't keep going back to Niagra falls or the Eiffel tower, once they've been seen they're much the same a second time.

The theatres is a better example I feel, I don't go myself, but since they change what they're showing I can see why people would visit them on a regular basis.

That’s the archer project for the homeless isn’t it.

The Archer project is at the rear , the druggies ,alkys and spice heads are all over the grounds

I'm not from Sheffield so maybe I've missed some hidden gems in Sheffield city centre. Now as the so-called 4th biggest city in UK ( but I'm sure Glasgow and Leeds are much bigger?) I expected much more. In my home city even the very worst rundown markets have more variety and cheaper prices. All I wanted to find was maybe some exotic fruits like Guanabana's and Papayas. I understand Sheffield is more of a Pie & Chips town and generally hates foreigners, but with the glowing reports on diversity all over council websites, I found it abysmal.

The Peace and Winter Gardens was nice but after an hour you've seen it all. No museums, the cathedral was closed and except for those few Georgian houses at back of Cathedral & Park Hill flats, dull predictable architecture and hardly any shops, so what is so amazing about Sheffield's central zone?

There's very little good about Sheffield City Centre.

Guest makapaka
There's very little good about Sheffield City Centre.

There is.

This is an easy counter argument.