Anyone come from Lansdowne Rd area?

Hello JenniferB, I remember you and your family very well Hilary was my friend for years and she is infact my sons godmother, I remember all the people you mentioned and I think it was Kathleen Crawford you were thinking about, I lived at 119 my neighbours were the Cartledges Keith, Gloria and Ann infact Ann is on m fb, I lost contact with Hilary but think about you all, I also remember Jimmy Beadow who lived over the wall, I remember yours and Margarets weddings so good to hear from you.

Hi I lived in Lansdowne Road 12/3, until it was pulled down in the early 60's. I went to Denby Street Nursery, the Pomona Street Juniors and proceeded to Greystones Secondary Modern.

I knew Peter Hollinshead, John Ward, Derek Green (he lived in Pearl Street), Janet Whitting (she live in Cemetary Road). unfortunately I found the another friend Danny Cocking died last year and Janet died in 2017, a few months after my wife Sue died (she went to Grange Grammar ). Anybody remember me Terry Steeples ir David Steeples my brother (he died in 1989)?

Ref.TerrySue......I don't remember Terry Steeples.But I did attend Denby Street Nursery and went to Sharrow Lane School.Till 15 years old Then work.I lived in Sharrow Street up to getting Married.I have visited the Sharrow Lane School Cafe in the old school building.  Which is Great.Pity I misses the last reunion party.Hoping for another one before it is too late. Keep the thread going.

i enjoy going to the school cafe which was my old school during the 1940s perhaps we could arrange to meet up there and talk about old times

denis anson previously of fentonville sreet

I will be making a separate post about this but there will be another reunion for Sharrow Lane pupils pre 1955 at the school cafe 12 noon, Wednesday 26th June. Why pre 1955.?Because, sadly, space is limited.  Please pass the word around. 

On 31/05/2019 at 20:45, gaz 786 said:

Special privileges in what respect? Grimesthorpe was a special place ask anyone who lived there before the slum clearance 😔😔😔😔

I have no idea, that post was a long time ago. I must have picked up some reference somewhere as I would not have dreamed of saying it otherwise. I don't come on here much these days, it got rather unfriendly, perhaps it has improved now.

On 10/09/2014 at 16:19, AlAN J said:

Hi Minimo I had a couple of friends John Hammond, and Tom Donaldson. John's father had the bakery, I think Tom's family live in a court. The house I lived in used to be a public house called, The Grapes, it was certainly large inside. There were two staircases and roughly about eleven rooms above ground level. The original bar room was used by the barber Horace Hull.

St Matthias was on Parliament St just down from where the DVLA is now.

John Hammond is my dad , do you have any photos of the bakery? Im looking into my family tree 

My grandad and grandma  lived at 118 Landsdown road until 1956 I think. Claydon 

On 14/06/2019 at 22:28, Johnofwrong said:

John Hammond is my dad , do you have any photos of the bakery? Im looking into my family tree 

Hi Johnofwrong

The picture is Franklin Street, Lansdowne Road is in the background. Half of the front of the bakery can be seen directly behind the two women.

Link to picture: https://ibb.co/album/fYRc1G

I have no information on the 'Hammond' family .. but just out of interest... my parents ran the corner shop on Franklin street - we had daily deliveries of delicious warm crusty bread from 'Hammonds'  bakery on Lansdowne road.. I seem to recall the driver / delivery driver who we knew well  as ... 'Don'  ? ... Hammond.

On 14/06/2019 at 22:28, Johnofwrong said:

I lived on Franklin St just up from Horace the barber, your dad was a mate of mine, his nickname was Ampy, I remember the bakery well, but sadly don't have any photos