Natwest to close 197 branches, 5 in Sheffield.

The government don't want us to dealing in cash, they are still a major shareholder in RBS / Nat West and this is down to making it more difficult for us rather than any cost cutting exercise.

I have long been convinced that the state, whoever is in power, would like us all to stop using cash altogether.

Which is just one of the reasons why I will go out of my way to use branches of my bank as far out of the city centre as possible and whenever possible I will always use cash rather than plastic and will still use my chequebook if ata ll possible when sending for something outside reasonable travel distance.

Not just for myself do I do this.

There are lots of people that either prefer not to go into the city to use their bank for various reasons, or have other challenges in using non-local branches. If you can use cash I implore you to do so and if you can use one of he smaller branches of your bank not in the city center I implore you to do that too.

I assure you it is in your own interest.

I have long been convinced that the state, whoever is in power, would like us all to stop using cash altogether.

Which is just one of the reasons why I will go out of my way to use branches of my bank as far out of the city centre as possible and whenever possible I will always use cash rather than plastic and will still use my chequebook if ata ll possible when sending for something outside reasonable travel distance.

There are lots of people that either prefer not to go into the city to use their bank for various reasons, or have other challenges in using non-local branches. If you can use cash I implore you to do so and if you can use one of he smaller branches of your bank not in the city center I implore you to do that too.

Very noble post fill and I agree entirely but I am not sure our efforts to use the smaller branches in the suburbs will have any affect. I've used the Millhouses branch on numerous occasions and always found it busy and yet it's not escaped the cull.

In supermarkets I refuse to use the self service check outs. Tesco, Morrisons, Asda etc can afford the staff with the profits they are making on the back of British farmers and so they can easily pay the £7.83 per hour for a few more till operators.

Very noble post fill and I agree entirely but I am not sure our efforts to use the smaller branches in the suburbs will have any affect. I've used the Millhouses branch on numerous occasions and always found it busy and yet it's not escaped the cull.

unfortunately true but if you don't try then you have already failed

In supermarkets I refuse to use the self service check outs. Tesco, Morrisons, Asda etc can afford the staff with the profits they are making on the back of British farmers and so they can easily pay the £7.83 per hour for a few more till operators.

aye and remember they only pay them 7 pound odd an hour and how many of them are employed on a part-time basis with reduced rights or even on zero hours with virtually no rights. which is why i also generally will wait for a till operator. i will use the self check outs when there is nobody else using them because then they sometimes have two people minding 8 tills with only one customer.

does anyone know if the Hillsborough branch of Natwest is staying open? There had been signs to say it was closing earlier in the year which were taken down, followed by another sign to say the branch was closing in August - today i noticed that this has also been removed? :confused:

I agree. They've made it almost impossible to function without a bank account, stopped paying interest, got us up to our ears in debt, closed the branches, and then the machines. Once cash is gone, we leave ourselves at the mercy of the banks - and if 'computer says no' (which it can on a whim,) we've had it.

These are the institutions which deliberately and knowingly brought this country to its knees. Now we are allowing them to take the ultimate power over us.

Since when did the banks ever do us any favours?

Be afraid, be very afraid...

Edited by Anna B

Is it me, or is Nat West taking the mick with this new advert " were bringing the bank to you " all the following branches have been closed, yet their bringing the bank to us?

Branches Closed

Adel Leeds

Alderley Edge

Ambleside

Bamber Bridge

Bingley

Blyth

Bolton

Chorley Old Road

Bradford City Centre

Carnforth

Cockermouth

Colne

Culcheth

Denton

Droylsden

Eccles Egremont

Fleetwood

Formby

Frodsham

Fulwell & Seaburn

Gateshead High St

Grange-over-Sands

Hale Haxby York

Heswall Hexham

Huyton Keswick Kirkby

Kirkham Knaresborough

Liverpool One

Liverpool University

Longridge Lytham

Manchester University

Union Marple

Millom

New Mills

New Moston

North Shields

Otley Pemberton

Poulton-Le-Fylde

Prescot Ramsbottom

Royton Selby Settle

Tadcaster Thirsk

Timperley Ulverston

Uppermill Westhoughton

Wigton

Midlands and East

Alsager Ampthill

Ashbourne

Belper

Biddulph

Biggleswade

Bingham

Birmingham, Broad Street

Bourne

Buckingham

Burslem Stoke-on-Trent

Cheadle Coalville

Coventry, Earlsdon

Daventry

Droitwich Spa

Dronfield

Eastwood Nottingham

Felixstowe Frinton-on-Sea

Hanley Festival Park

Haverhill

Horncastle

Kempston Kenilworth

Kirkby-in-Ashfield

Leicester, Evington Road

Leicester, Queen’s Road

Leominster

Lexden Colchester

Lincoln Newark Road

Lutterworth

Malvern

Matlock

Mickelover

Netherfield

Northampton

Nottingham University

Oakham Olney

Ripley Derbyshire

Rugeley

Sleaford

South West and Wales Southwell

St. James

Staveley

Chesterfield

Stoke-on-Trent

Stone Staffordshire

Stowmarket

Sutton Coldfield

Tarporley

Towcester

Trentham Stoke-on-Trent

Warwick

Washwood Heath

Whitchurch Shropshire

Woburn Sands

Woodbridge

Wylde Green

South West and Wales

Aberdare

Amlwch

Boscombe

Builth Wells

Burnham-on-Sea

Caernarfon

Canford Cliffs Poole

Chandler’s Ford

Cheddar

Conwy

Ebbw Vale

Emsworth

Ferndown

Hay-on-Wye

Holywell

Hythe Southampton

Langport

Ledbury

Machynlleth

Menai Bridge

Monmouth

New Milton

Park Gates Hants

Pontypool

Porthmadog

Prestatyn

Ruthin

Shanklin Isle of Wight

Southampton London Road

Southampton Portswood

Warminster

Wellington Somerset

Welshpool

Westbourne Bournemouth

Wincanton

Winton Bournemouth

Worle

Ystrad Mynach

London and South East

49 Bishopsgate

Bearsted

Broadstairs

Cheshunt

East Finchley

Euston Road

Hampstead Village

Hythe Kent

Maida Vale

Mill Hill

Parsons Green

Sandwich

St. John’s Wood

Sunningdale

Tower Bridge

Warlingham

Whitstable

Bankside

Borough Green

Canada Square, Canary Wharf

Chislehurst

Enfield Highway

Finchley Central

Hendon Church Road

Kingsland

Marble Arch

Millbank

Rochester

Shepperton

Stamford Hill

Teddington

University of Kent

Wembley Park

Bayswater

Bow

Cavendish Square

Coulsdon

Esher

Great Portland Street

Highbury and Islington

Leytonstone

Mile End

Northumberland Heath

Romford Collier Row

Shoreditch

Staplehurst

Temple Fortune

Upminster

Whetstone

And there doing us a favor by driving around the country with this mobile bank? Irony or what.

I asked a very helpful advisor at Barclays about branch closures genrally and she said that it makes little difference whether a branch is busy or not but what it is being used for.If it is people simply paying money in and drawing money out and transfers ect then it does not matter how busy it is they may still close it.However if its the more profitable sides like mortgages and loans then thats what they are really interested in and is much more likely it will remain open.

I haven’t used a branch in years. Everything can be done online or over the phone. Paying by cash doesn’t pay either. I use my credit card to get over £500 cashback every year.

I haven’t used a branch in years. Everything can be done online or over the phone. Paying by cash doesn’t pay either. I use my credit card to get over £500 cashback every year.

Until the online banking app crashes or cards can’t be authorised as has recently happened then you have to leave the shop without your goods. Interesting article about possible chaos if we end up with a cashless society= https://www.independent.co.uk/money/spend-save/cashless-society-tsb-it-failure-visa-card-payments-tech-digital-problems-a8386901.html

Until the online banking app crashes or cards can’t be authorised as has recently happened then you have to leave the shop without your goods. Interesting article about possible chaos if we end up with a cashless society= https://www.independent.co.uk/money/spend-save/cashless-society-tsb-it-failure-visa-card-payments-tech-digital-problems-a8386901.html

I have never had an issue but then again, I am not stupid enough to only have one place or bank to access money from.

Not sure - but it's a bloody long way away if it is. There's not a single cash machine that doesn't charge anywhere near any of the Leppings Lane estate. Crazy really, given the fact it is home to so many people AND affects people going to the football.

I think there's a Lloyds too but it's again right in the centre.

You can use the cash machine at the Post Office in the garage for free:thumbsup:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but can you now scan cheques to pay them in as an alternative to paying it in at a branch?

Saves messing about if so, but for those who rely on a branch for whatever reason, is this new thing another nail in the coffin for bank branches and if so, will the ones that are left have enough clerks on to process the paying in from businesses who take lots of cash?

Not that it affects me but I’m curious.