Cat groomer required?

Hi there, I wonder if anyone can help me. I have a 10 year old semi-long haired moggy. We’ve always just brushed her and everything has been done but over the past two months, around the top of her back and round the sides she has developed a couple of matts in her fur. I’m guessing maybe her old age she just isn’t as bothered about getting them and/or slightly painful. The question is what do I do? I’ve tried brushing them out but to no avail and it seems to hurt her slightly. She has never been to a groomer and I imagine she would hate it, scratch out etc. Are they used to this? Is this what they do? Can anyone recommend anyone please? A mobile groomer would be even better.

Thanks

Your vet may be the best bet blondebint. They have equipment and sedation if needed to be able to handle a reluctant client safely.

Hi there i groom cats to be honest not many groomers do this as you really need to have experience and know what your doing.

I'm afraid I'm not mobile you would need to come to me.

If you want more info send me a pm and can get back in touch with you

Thanks

The least stressful thing for cats in this scenario is for their owner, who they trust, to just remove the matts a bit at a time in a safe way during normal cuddles and grooming.

The safest way to remove them is to get a metal toothed comb and a pair of really sharp hair dressing scissors that have relatively flat tips. NEVER cut a lump with scissors without protection, as it's really hard to see the difference between skin and the bottom of the hair and you WILL cut the cat.

Comb out what you can comb, then when you get to a bit that has a matt on it, pop the comb in sideways against the skin, under the lump and leave it there. You can then safely use scissors parallel to the skin by resting the blades on the comb and use them to cut the lump with no risk of cutting the skin beneath.

You'll find that you don't actually need to cut right down to the base of the hair because once relatively close to the skin the rest of a matt will comb out really quickly.

With older cats I have found that just a few minutes with the combs to hand will allow you to cut out one or two small matts. Repeat every day for a couple of weeks and the matts will be dealt with, and you won't have stressed the cat to get them in a box to a groomer or paid the bill for doing so :)

I have a decent set of scissors that I use to cut knots from my cat, I don't use then for anything else. I find you don't need to get right next to the skin, just cut the majority of it off and you can groom the rest.