Have you heard of these sayings ?

Anyone still say 'giddy aunt'? I get laughed at all the time for that one! no idea where it came from!

Not sure how its spelt elsewhere in the thread but it was always "mimmy moking" in our house. :D

Same here :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 15-08-2018 at 21:30 ----------

old quote i know but I havnt heard this said in a long time my mum used to say "who tha nebbin at?"

Then she added to it saying "err next doer is a reyt nubucanezer" ( I am sure she made this up herself) its meaning was being nosey

I also remember minny moking usually behind someones back (spelt differently in this thread) and was fascinated to learn the origin of this was how the factory girls used to speak to each other in the noise of the factories If memory serves me right this was featured in the film KES

I think "neb" is an old fashioned name for a nose . Thus nebbing= nosing /nosy

My mam had a bad memory, she used to tell me off, then clout me round the head saying, what have I just told you.

My mother had funny eyes, she thought I had two mouths, she was always telling me that I would laugh at the other side of my face when my Dad got home. :help:

Edited by Ontarian1981

My mother had funny eyes, she thought I had two mouths, she was always telling me that I would laugh at the other side of my face when my Dad got home. :help:

Think she was a good gardener as well... she used to say, Look at your ears you could grow potatoes in them..

My grandkids think I have four eyes, I'm always telling them I've got eyes at the back of my head.

mam worked as a buffer and later as a file cutter so her language was very colourfull,but at times was very profound so if me or my sister ever said that we wished we had something she would always say "wish in one hand sh*t in the other and see which gets full first"

My gran's friend used to say about another lady: "She tant teep warm wi two toats on!".

If my mum saw an older women a bit overdressed and wearing a lot of makeup, she would say, "She looks like an owd ooer at a christening." Didn't fathom out what an ooer was for years.

If my mum saw an older women a bit overdressed and wearing a lot of makeup, she would say, "She looks like an owd ooer at a christening." Didn't fathom out what an ooer was for years.

Mutton dressed as lamb, Kris.

fur coat and no knickers

Re "Who tha nebbin at " I think it comes from the word NEB which is the name for the peak on the front of a flat cap. As it is directly above the eyes it is pointing straight at you when someone is looking right at you.

Can any of you older posters remember this.."goin for a walk round lump"...i said it the other day and my grandson said "what"!!!!!...:)

Is it just a Sheffield saying?

Yes I remember this saying and others that my mum used, one of which was well "Well -I go to the bottom of our stairs" and my grandmother used to say "Who'd like to wash and change me for threppence". There were many others, but the old memory isn't what it was. If I recall I will come back.

Md