Albert Cox - Sheffield United left back 1936 - 1952 Born treeton 1917.

Hi all,

My names Ryan and im looking for info or maybe just memories/stories of my grandad Albert Cox he was born in Treeton in 1917. He passed away a few years ago now and I lost touch with him for a long time. If he had any friends on here that knew him in his twilight years id love to hear from you.

Also anyone that knew him as a young man or with info of his war record would be greatly appreciated. My dad is Clive Albert Cox born in Woodhouse and spending his first few months in the Brunswick pub before moving to grow up in Treeton so if anyone knew him or any of the Cox family in Woodhouse or Treeton id love to hear from you too.

He will be best known for his time with the Blades making his debut in 1936 and leaving for Halifax Town in 1952 where he spent one season. He made 265 appearances for the Blades so if there are any of you older Blades who have any matchday memories then please let me know.

Also anyone who knows anything about my nan would be lovely too. Im not sure of her name but would love to hear anything about her.

Thanks

Hi all,

My names Ryan and im looking for info or maybe just memories/stories of my grandad Albert Cox he was born in Treeton in 1917. He passed away a few years ago now and I lost touch with him for a long time. If he had any friends on here that knew him in his twilight years id love to hear from you.

Also anyone that knew him as a young man or with info of his war record would be greatly appreciated. My dad is Clive Albert Cox born in Woodhouse and spending his first few months in the Brunswick pub before moving to grow up in Treeton so if anyone knew him or any of the Cox family in Woodhouse or Treeton id love to hear from you too.

He will be best known for his time with the Blades making his debut in 1936 and leaving for Halifax Town in 1952 where he spent one season. He made 265 appearances for the Blades so if there are any of you older Blades who have any matchday memories then please let me know.

Also anyone who knows anything about my nan would be lovely too. Im not sure of her name but would love to hear anything about her.

Thanks

hiya rysablade

i remember your granddad playing for united as this was around the time when i started going to matches at the lane, there were so many players just after the war but he played with, fred smith goalkeeper, fred furnace, harry latham, jimmy hagan, colin collinridge, alex forbes ,albert nightingale,harold brooks, i remember my dad coming home from work early he was on morning shift and i was still at home at lunchtime, when he asked me if i wanted to go to the lane and i said what about school this afternoon, he said united are playing wolverhampton wanderers, who were a top club at the time i think they had four or five internationals playing it was a fa cup replay, it was also very cold.

i was 8 at the time the pitch had to be cleared of snow it was piled up at the side of the pitch

Edited by willybite

in uniteds football book it says,no one ever described albert cox as a stylih full back but he had a big heart,was difficult to pass,quick to recover and delighted in the sliding tackle.he came into the utd.team in feb.1936 and played in the f.a.cup semi-final.he lost much of his caree to the war were he served in egypt and germany.he joined utd.in 1935 made 333 app.scored 6 goals he came from woodhouse mill. wmc.and then went to halifax town.there is a teamphoto in the book for 1938 season.

Thanks guys,

Yeh I have a few books that sound like that. Im looking more for personel memories and thoughts on him and any info on the rest of the family. I hink it would be nice to get a sorta book of thoughts together for dad. He's always been really proud of him!

Try contacting the chap who looks after the Hall of Fame ( thinks that what they call it ) at Bramall Lane. He may possibly help with some contact names.

Fred Furniss ex United full back I believe is still alive and a member of the Senior Blades.

Speak to United for a Senior Blades contact number.

Best of luck

You know thats a great idea. Really not sure why I never thought of that. Cheers.

I suppose most people who may have known him are maybe a generation or two away from the iformation super highway lol ;)

Hi RysaBlade,

I know nothing about football but your grandad had an off licence on Bole Hill in Treeton, that was converted to houses many years ago. I was at school with Joan who was my age, Judith was older, is one of these your mother?

Possibly an interesting topic to raise via Radio Sheffield, also try enquiring via the Sheffield

Football section on this Forum.

Does the Green Un evening Saturday paper still have a letters to the editor section.

Could be worth a try on there.

Well Hello, I just got back from Treeton yesterday and while I was visiting my Mum there I also started digging into my past relatives. It seems we re related, my mum is probably second cousin of your dad. My grandmother Mildred Cox Allsopp was your grandfathers sister. We re were just talking to my mum this week about her cousins etc ( she is only child) and she mentioned Uncle Albert as we knew him. I lived in Treeton as a 11-13 year old and we got most of our groceries from his store he helped my grandma and my mum a lot. My mum and dad got married from Uncle Alberts house my mum dressed along with her bridesmaids above the shop for her wedding.

Anyway I actually have a knife from Albert s set he got for winning some kind of match. He gave a knife to all his sisters. It has traveled a long distance as I live in the USA now and I always thought it was special so I kept it safe. I’m sure other relatives have the others it is white / red . My mum still lives in Treeton but not computer user but she knows all the history of the family.

Well Hello, I just got back from Treeton yesterday and while I was visiting my Mum there I also started digging into my past relatives. It seems we re related, my mum is probably second cousin of your dad. My grandmother Mildred Cox Allsopp was your grandfathers sister. We re were just talking to my mum this week about her cousins etc ( she is only child) and she mentioned Uncle Albert as we knew him. I lived in Treeton as a 11-13 year old and we got most of our groceries from his store he helped my grandma and my mum a lot. My mum and dad got married from Uncle Alberts house my mum dressed along with her bridesmaids above the shop for her wedding.

Anyway I actually have a knife from Albert s set he got for winning some kind of match. He gave a knife to all his sisters. It has traveled a long distance as I live in the USA now and I always thought it was special so I kept it safe. I’m sure other relatives have the others it is white / red . My mum still lives in Treeton but not computer user but she knows all the history of the family.

I bet you didn't know he played against James Bond. :)

Just found this thread. Don't know who actually played, but have got the programme for the game which lists the teams as: Ex-soccer stars: Jack Smith, Eddie Shimwell, Ernest Blenkinsop, Ernest Jackson, Harry Latham, Oscar Fox, Alf Ringstead, Ron Starling, Arnold Lowes, Jimmy Hagan, Dennis Woodhead, Albert Cox. The Showbiz XI: Jackie Gordon, Billy Parry, Walley Barnes, Franklyn Boyd, John Burgess, Ronnie Carroll, Sean Connery, Jimmy Henney, Dave King, Glenn Mason, Chas McDevitt, Des O'Connor, Tommy Steele, Pip Wedge, Billy Wright. The linesman were Derek Dooley and Mark Hooper and the ref George MCabe.

I remember Albert Cox playing regularly for the first team and he also gave a very good display when he opposed the one and only Stanley Mathews in a fixture.

Hi Ryan,

In the Sheffield Daily Telegraph, dated 23 December 1950, there is an article

titled 'What I'll Never Forget by Albert Cox'.

It is quite a long article and he talks about his time as an N.C.O. in the Royal

Corps of Signals attached to 4th Indian Division, he was later in Cairo.

In the latter part of the article he talks about moments in his football career.

There is also a picture of him.

There is also another picture of him in the Sheffield Daily Telegraph dated

7 July 1939. He is best man at a wedding of a fellow footballer.