Wentworth Woodhouse - Second World War

Is the house open to visit?

PopT

It is, and I can highly recommend it, it has a very interesting history including a connection with the American war of Independence.

The guided tour is excellent.

Thanks to Blackbeard & MJW for your postings regarding tours of the house.

I'm onto it & looking forward to a visit when i am back in Sheffield-

Happy Days! PopT

Edited by PopT

Hi

I am sure that your history project concerning Wentworth Woodhouse has long been completed! But just in case you are still interested, my uncle, aged 91, Intelligence Corps, was stationed in the stable block of Wentworth Woodhouse from September 1945 to May 1946 before being sent to India. He well remembers practising motor bike riding on the oval cinder track and may have some other small pieces of information useful to you.

Let me know if you wish to write to him.

Hi Melanie,

I am part of the Archive and Research team that has been set up at Wentworth Woodhouse recently. I have been tasked with researching the military at WW. I would be interested in writing to your uncle if that offer is still available.

Hi

I am sure that your history project concerning Wentworth Woodhouse has long been completed! But just in case you are still interested, my uncle, aged 91, Intelligence Corps, was stationed in the stable block of Wentworth Woodhouse from September 1945 to May 1946 before being sent to India. He well remembers practising motor bike riding on the oval cinder track and may have some other small pieces of information useful to you.

Let me know if you wish to write to him.

Hi Melanie3, just in case your uncle hasn't seen the film of motorcycle training mentioned earlier on this thread, here it is …..

http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com/film/dear-sergeant-or-story-rough-riding-motorcycling-course

Regards, Peter.

Hi Peter

Thank you for sending the thread for the motorcycle training film. My uncle doesn't have email so will show it to him when I next see him in a few weeks.

Regards

Melanie

---------- Post added 30-10-2018 at 15:15 ----------

Hi xjax

I have spoken to my uncle and he is more than happy for you to write to him. Unfortunately, he doesn't have email and as I don't want to give out his address on a public forum, can you please email me from your research and archive email and I'll send you his details.

Regards

Melanie

Hello Melanie,

I do not know how to access your email address on this site.

Please could you email me with your uncles details at

research@wentworthwoodhouse.org.uk

Please address it for the attention of Jax Woodhouse and David Allott

Thank you very much

Regards

Jax