Sign in to follow this  

Best travel insurance for adventure sports

I’m planning a trip to New Zealand and have so far looked at a large number of different travel insurance providers. The majority don’t seem to cover adventure type sports unless you pay an additional premium which then makes the policy fairly expensive.

STA Travel seem to cover more of the type of activities I’d be keen on undertaking as standard and even include up to 7 days winter sports cover as part of their policies - has anyone used them for travel insurance before or have any other recommendations?

I’m planning a trip to New Zealand and have so far looked at a large number of different travel insurance providers. The majority don’t seem to cover adventure type sports unless you pay an additional premium which then makes the policy fairly expensive.

STA Travel seem to cover more of the type of activities I’d be keen on undertaking as standard and even include up to 7 days winter sports cover as part of their policies - has anyone used them for travel insurance before or have any other recommendations?

You do not say what activity and at what level of exposure to risk.

STA do provide a service aimed at <35s. They are also well established and have global experience. You will pay a premium and it will be hefty.

Do not rely on the insurance provided by local organizations eg rafting, bungee, mountain bike hire etc. as they may not pay up until years later. You need cover straight away.

Do you have access to any discounts through union, employer, profession etc. or though membership of a sports club or through insurances already held.

When applying online play around with the boxes you tick to see if a particular activity is "free" or excessive.

If don't tell the insurer that you are going to do a "risky" activity, that could invalidate any claim.

Try an insurer which you can speak to by phone or STA at 98 Devonshire Street.

I've used Dogtag for biking in the Alps. Didn't have any disasters so can't comment on their service but they are supposed to be good!

I've used Dogtag for biking in the Alps. Didn't have any disasters so can't comment on their service but they are supposed to be good!

Thanks for the recommendation.