Memories of Wigfalls

Did your Great Grandfather, Stormvixen, Work as an outside TV engineer at Mowbray Street and live at North Anston?

---------- Post added 16-11-2017 at 20:11 ----------

My great grandfather worked for wigfalls and did sing in the clubs as well - his name was William (Billy) Butler

Did your Great Grandfather work as an outside TV engineer at Mowbray Street? And did he live at North Anston?

Memories of Wigfalls

Ref. Post 227. Val Brierley.

I recall your Dad, Richard Brierley at Wigfalls Spital Hill shop. The shop was on the left going up from the Arches. Your Dad was the undermanager. I vaguely remember he sported brown wavyish hair and wore horn-rimmed specs. He and the Dreary manager wore smart dark suits. Your Dad sometimes wore a smart Tweed jacket and grey trousers with razor sharp creases. He looked a little like Paul Laidlaw from TV’s Bargain Hunt. The shop was badly lit and had a definite atmosphere of a funeral parlour, and the place smelled of pipe tobacco and dry-rot. The shop was the least modern of the Wigfalls shops, though the London rooad branch came a close second.

I generally didn’t converse with the shop management, that was left to my driver Mick Headford who originated from Hastings. I always tried to avoid authority anyway. Spittal Hill was the only shop I can remember than never gave Mick and me a cuppa. The shop wasn’t a busy shop compared to the others.

Wigfalls at Spital Hill was also the worst shop to deliver and collect from, because of parking problems. We used to have to park on Spital Street / Lane / Handley Street. Due to demolition of old buildings in that area (1971-1972ish), we had to lug televisions, Radiograms etc, over rubble and bricks sticking out at all angles. I remember on one cold snowy day, Mick and me, slipping onto our backsides while carrying a very heavy 26” screen (the largest at the time) telly with an enormous wooded cabinet. We were sat in the snow and bricks nursing the telly in our laps. LOL.

There was another Wigfalls shop on the other side of Spital Hill but it didn’t sell televisions. It was near to the East House pub (Tetley) where a decade previous, a Somalian man went wild with a revolver killing three persons, and crippling another for life. I have often wondered if the Somalian bloke had been enraged by bad service on the part of Wigfalls. One never knowns.

Ref. Post 218 – Sheff71

There was a Wigfalls shop on Main Road, Darnall. It was on the left, almost at the junction of main road Greenland Road. Over the junction (continuation of Main Road) was the Rose and Crown pub (Tetley). One day our van had a collision with a car (Mini). In the shopping precinct car park facing Main Road. The detailed info of this is in post 112. More info of Wigfalls to be found in post 65. Both posts are from me.

--

At our depot (Bruce Works) on Mowbray Street, there was a bloke who we could speak with if we had any complaints, Harry Green, who lived at Frecheville, and often played cards in the BIrley Hotel (Stones). One Friday, Harry had overheard me getting all mardy about me being quartered (but not hung and drawn) due to me having been late clocking-in early in the week. I really shouldn’t have gotten ratty though, because I knew the rules. teenage tantrum. LOL. Harry advised me to wise(n) up. He told me that if I was going to be late in the future, just phone in from a phone-box, and tell the office people that I’d pulled me back, or some other injury / illness. That would then guarantee me getting fully paid for that day off. He did warn me though, not to pull the rick too often. LOL. Nice one Harry.

--

Original poster – Alan Stepney.

With all the info on this thread, together with the last time you posted…6-4-2008, I expect your book to be as thick as war and peace! Shake a leg, pal! Did you have a bruvver called Alex, who used to play for Millwall then Chelsea?

Reply not expected.

Edited by zakes

I thought alex played for man utd. could be wrong.

Nice picture of the Spital Hill shop HERE.

Edited by Jim Hardie

Memories of Wigfalls

Have just been looking through this thread again.

Padders Post 244

When I wrote the Bit about Alex Stepney I deliberately left out the mention of Man Spew almost knowing that somebody would mention it. You fell for it Padders. Big. Lol.

You should know me by now.

Jim Hardie Post 245

Hey up Jim (Mick?) thanks for the picture of the Spital Hill Shop. That shop was furniture only. The Wigfalls shop I was referring to was the Electrics shop on the opposite side of the road (hill).

Memories of Wigfalls

Padders Post 244

When I wrote the Bit about Alex Stepney I deliberately left out the mention of Man Spew almost knowing that somebody would mention it. You fell for it Padders. Big. Lol.

Jim Hardie Post 245

Hey up Jim (Mick?) thanks for the picture of the Spital Hill Shop. That shop was furniture only. The Wigfalls shop I was referring to was the Electrics shop on the opposite side of the road (hill).

Don"t tell everyone Zakes, people will think I"m stewpid.

Memories of Wigfalls

Padders Post 244

Jim Hardie Post 245

My Bold

Got my first wiggies royal from there:thumbsup:

Nice picture of the Spital Hill shop HERE.

Hi Jim Hardie - I seem to remember Wiggie's being on the other side of Spital Hill unless I have got it totally wrong, I did frequent the shop and bought stuff from time to time. fleetwood

Hey up Jim (Mick?)

Spot on. Now that's got me thinking.

Hi Jim Hardie - I seem to remember Wiggie's being on the other side of Spital Hill unless I have got it totally wrong, I did frequent the shop and bought stuff from time to time. fleetwood

The Wigfall's in the photo sold furniture, carpets etc. The Wigfalls that was opposite (where you probably went) had fridges, washing machines, electrical goods etc, and oh...in the 60's..bicycles.

The Wigfall's in the photo sold furniture, carpets etc. The Wigfalls that was opposite (where you probably went) had fridges, washing machines, electrical goods etc, and oh...in the 60's..bicycles.

Strange how we all remember Wigfall's ,a lot of Sheffield folk worked for them at one time or another:).

Thanks St Petre - Remember the electrical branch, bought a reel to reel tape recorder there once amongst other things. fleetwood