Sixty years an Owl.

Must be around the 60 yr mark, the first floodlit match at Hillsboro.

I can remember being there, and looking up at the pylons, they were awesome, cant remember if there were 4 or 6. (guess 6). used to stand on the kop counting the bulbs ,think there were 48bulbs on each pylon. who did they play? once again the memory is blurred, I seem to think it was a Russian team (Moscow Dynamo?)

Apparently it was March 1955 for Derek Dooley's testimonial.

Apparently it was March 1955 for Derek Dooley's testimonial.

Cheers Jim, just googled it, 55,000 was the attendance, did"nt realise it was that long ago. can"t seem to find the opposing team.

Cheers Jim, just googled it, 55,000 was the attendance, did"nt realise it was that long ago. can"t seem to find the opposing team.

Sheffield XI v International XI

Will try to find the line ups.

Sheffield XI v International XI

Will try to find the line ups.

Guessing jimmy hagan, red froggat, roy shiner, might get a mention.

Must be around the 60 yr mark, the first floodlit match at Hillsboro.

I can remember being there, and looking up at the pylons, they were awesome, cant remember if there were 4 or 6. (guess 6). used to stand on the kop counting the bulbs ,think there were 48bulbs on each pylon. who did they play? once again the memory is blurred, I seem to think it was a Russian team (Moscow Dynamo?)

Counting bulbs?!, exciting football back then for owls, nothing changes eh!

Stanley Matthews, Tommy Lawton, John Charles, Jack Kelsey.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-blue-and-white-and-red-and-white-derek-dooleys-story-is-in-many-ways-that-of-sheffield-1500372.html

Still looking for the full line up.

ALAN58 - As a Blade I can't be <removed> to read all your post about Wednesday's changing fortunes but congratulations on 60 years a supporter. :)

Anyone who has supported that lot for so long deserves some sort of special treatment, but middlewood shut years ago.:hihi:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-blue-and-white-and-red-and-white-derek-dooleys-story-is-in-many-ways-that-of-sheffield-1500372.html

Perhaps Albert Quixall played, as he didn't leave the Owls until 1958.

---------- Post added 26-04-2018 at 18:44 ----------

---------- Post added 26-04-2018 at 18:44 ----------

Double clutched:D

What do you do when you can't find what you want on the internet? You go back to the old fashioned way of doing things. No, not a trip to the library but up to the attic and what did I find?

'Dooley! The Autobiography of a Soccer Legend'

The match only gets three lines but right at the back of the book:

Derek Dooley's testimonial match was staged on Wednesday March 9th 1955 and has a special place in the club's records as the first game played under the new Hillsborough floodlights.

The match saw an International XI beat a Sheffield team 5-1 in front of a 55,000 crowd. Gate receipts totalled £7,500. Dooley was introduced to the teams before the game and performed the kick off. The teams in the fixture were:

Sheffield:

Ted Burgin (United); Jack Martin (Wednesday), Graham Shaw (United); Jack Shaw (Wednesday), Don McEvoy (Wednesday), Joe Shaw (United); Alan Finney (Wednesday), Albert Quixall (Wednesday), Jack Cross (United), Jackie Sewell (Wednesday), Jackie Marriott (Wednesday).

Scorer: Sewell

International XI:

Jack Kelsey (Arsenal); Bill Foulkes (Manchester United), Roger Byrne (Manchester United); Peter Farrell (Everton, capt), John Charles (Leeds United), Alex Forbes (Arsenal); Stanley Matthews (Blackpool), Eddie Quigley (Blackburn Rovers), Tommy Lawton (Arsenal), Jimmy Hagan (Sheffield United), Tommy Eglington (Everton).

Scorers: Hagan (2), Lawton, Quigley, McEvoy (og)

Referee: Arthur Ellis (Halifax)

I think I prefer copy and paste. :)

Anyone who has supported that lot for so long deserves some sort of special treatment, but middlewood shut years ago.:hihi:

The training ground is still there, at Middlewood.

---------- Post added 26-04-2018 at 23:44 ----------

What do you do when you can't find what you want on the internet? You go back to the old fashioned way of doing things. No, not a trip to the library but up to the attic and what did I find?

'Dooley! The Autobiography of a Soccer Legend'

The match only gets three lines but right at the back of the book:

Derek Dooley's testimonial match was staged on Wednesday March 9th 1955 and has a special place in the club's records as the first game played under the new Hillsborough floodlights.

The match saw an International XI beat a Sheffield team 5-1 in front of a 55,000 crowd. Gate receipts totalled £7,500. Dooley was introduced to the teams before the game and performed the kick off. The teams in the fixture were:

Sheffield:

Ted Burgin (United); Jack Martin (Wednesday), Graham Shaw (United); Jack Shaw (Wednesday), Don McEvoy (Wednesday), Joe Shaw (United); Alan Finney (Wednesday), Albert Quixall (Wednesday), Jack Cross (United), Jackie Sewell (Wednesday), Jackie Marriott (Wednesday).

Scorer: Sewell

International XI:

Jack Kelsey (Arsenal); Bill Foulkes (Manchester United), Roger Byrne (Manchester United); Peter Farrell (Everton, capt), John Charles (Leeds United), Alex Forbes (Arsenal); Stanley Matthews (Blackpool), Eddie Quigley (Blackburn Rovers), Tommy Lawton (Arsenal), Jimmy Hagan (Sheffield United), Tommy Eglington (Everton).

Scorers: Hagan (2), Lawton, Quigley, McEvoy (og)

Referee: Arthur Ellis (Halifax)

I think I prefer copy and paste. :)

That was some International X1: Can you imagine three international Arsenal players travelling up from north London for a mid-week (non paid) friendly these days ?

---------- Post added 27-04-2018 at 00:01 ----------

A good read Alan, and well done on your 60yrs, been plenty of ups and more downs but thats what being a fan is all about.

In that Burnley game -I was there too- were the goalies Dave McIntosh and Adam Blacklaw ?

---------- Post added 27-04-2018 at 01:26 ----------

Roy Shiner, maybe not in a game like that but always liked him, he would run through a closed barn door and goalie- in search of a goal for the Owls, a bit like a diminutive Derek Dooley. I once met Roy's brother in Ryde, Isle of Wight where they were from..however...

Correct top, Ron came a few months later.