Gmail gone ultra secure?

I've been using gmail for a couple of years with no problem and suddenly they wanted me to tell them my mobile phone number and my second computer's ISP number and include them plus my desktop ISP in one group reference. They hardly explained the reason so when I didn't see the need for this I didn't do it. Maybe I should have done because now they refuse to let me into my gmail account. I went to Account Recovery and was told to send my mobile number and they would return a security code number which I was to send back to them to prove my identity. But when I tried this they said my mobile was not recognised and they wouldn't cooperate. The same thing happened when I used my second computer. So since they are playing silly buggers they've lost another customer. The inconvenient thing about opening another account is that I have to tell all my contacts my new address. Has anyone else had this gmail nonsense applied?

Nope.

That's not Gmail.

You have been phished

I tried your advice and got the same result ie they would not connect me to my account. Why would a phisher do that?

I agree with Easy livin, sounds very dodgy. Also what do you mean by and ISP number i've never heard of such a number. Do they mean IP address, if so this has absolutely no relevance to a gmail account. PC IP address are internalk to your home devices on your local network/router

Have you set a recovery email address and or phone number, if so on the following link, click the sign in box ( upper right )

Enter your email address

Click forgot email

A new email password should be sent to your recovery email address

https://www.google.com/gmail/about/

Interesting article in the Independant:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/google-gmail-account-hacked-password-security-phishing-keyloggers-hack-checkup-a8048416.html

Have to disagree with the above. I admin a few hundred (if not more) Google Apps/G-Suite (whatever they are calling themselves these days) accounts, and this is quite a common thing from Google.

They regularly ask users to confirm a mobile number and, when entered, they regularly check login attempts by sending a text to your mobile. Most of the major cloud providers push people towards this style of login.

It's called two-factor authentication, and the reason tech companies try to push customers towards this is because it's much more secure than the standard username/password combo. See here: https://www.google.com/landing/2step/

Edited by Lastnet IT

Have to disagree with the above. I admin a few hundred (if not more) Google Apps/G-Suite (whatever they are calling themselves these days) accounts, and this is quite a common thing from Google.

They regularly ask users to confirm a mobile number and, when entered, they regularly check login attempts by sending a text to your mobile. Most of the major cloud providers push people towards this style of login.

It's called two-factor authentication, and the reason tech companies try to push customers towards this is because it's much more secure than the standard username/password combo. See here: https://www.google.com/landing/2step/

Yes i have it regular when wife is abroad in australia to see kids about 4 weeks every year. Comes on our shared lap tops at home . I just decline it every year then its back to normal :suspect:

Asking for a mobile number is fine but asking for an op address isn’t (assuming that’s what he meant)

Either way everyone should enable two factor in their gmail by default. So much valuable data is at risk if you don’t.

Asking for a mobile number is fine but asking for an op address isn’t (assuming that’s what he meant)

Either way everyone should enable two factor in their gmail by default. So much valuable data is at risk if you don’t.

Maybe it didn't ask him for his IP, but simply showed some previous log-ins, and asked to confirm of that was them, this usually includes a rough location and IP address...

I have seen this myself on Google, FaceBook and other sites...

Badgers6, what two factors are you referring to? And now Gmail doesn't let me in what can I do? I'm so fed up with Gmail failing to explain their reason for what they ask that I've decided to go to a different e mail provider. Yes everyone I'm sorry. You were right that they didn't actually ask for my ISP or my IP or my op address. I said those words because I thought it would make clear what I thought they were actually asking me for. I shouldn't use terms that I don't understand. Sorry. Ghozer they may have done what you said but I've lost track of it now. Lastnet II you're right. That is what they said, But I haven't got a mobile phone so I'm stuck. Never mind, I've got a different e mail provider address now.

Edited by woolyhead