Firth Park 50s and 60s

Hi has anyone out there got any memories of hanging out around the firth park area in the 50s and 60s . The dance venue at st Christopher's Bellhouse road was very good .

Hi has anyone out there got any memories of hanging out around the firth park area in the 50s and 60s . The dance venue at st Christopher's Bellhouse road was very good .

St. Christopher's Bellhouse Road, I saw Wayne Fontana & the Mindbenders there in 1964 and they already had a hit record.

Yes I saw them too what a venue .

No doubt you did the monkey run.

hopefully with luck memories will stay with us all our lives and mine of the firth park area and this dance venue are the best . Does anyone remember the newsagents at the bottom of Bellhouse rd near the roundabout I took papers for them and my sister worked there for a few years , Camms or something .

hopefully with luck memories will stay with us all our lives and mine of the firth park area and this dance venue are the best . Does anyone remember the newsagents at the bottom of Bellhouse rd near the roundabout I took papers for them and my sister worked there for a few years , Camms or something .

That was camms.... asda, morrisons, Tesco, etc. how things change.. I did all my shopping at Maggie goulds :hihi:

Thought it was camms . The owner was called Jack I think he was brilliant to work for .My sister still lives in firth park and I visit every once in a while how it has changed but the basics are still there . Do you remember when the paragon was demolished we had fire wood for months . The drink shop , has we called it , near seymores toy shop is another memory .

That was camms.... asda, morrisons, Tesco, etc. how things change.. I did all my shopping at Maggie goulds :hihi:

Was that Bellhouse Road or Sicey Avenue, the old Paragon Cinema perhaps ?

Edited by stpetre
add

Sorry a bit new to this although I have been a member a while , its the paragon cinema I am referring too . I am 70 now I must have been around 13 or so , cant be sure

---------- Post added 19-10-2017 at 20:15 ----------

Think the cinema was demolished around 1962 so I would have been a bit older 15 or so

Sorry a bit new to this although I have been a member a while , its the paragon cinema I am referring too . I am 70 now I must have been around 13 or so , cant be sure

---------- Post added 19-10-2017 at 20:15 ----------

Think the cinema was demolished around 1962 so I would have been a bit older 15 or so

Nowt wrong wi' being 70, absolutely nowt !

on sicey ave

---------- Post added 19-10-2017 at 20:45 ----------

While I am on this can anyone remember Ken Wragg , Don Tinker , David Irving , Gary Hayes

A favourite treat when I was growing up at Sheffield Lane Top in the 50s, was to walk down Sicey Avenue and Firth Park Road, to Firth Park Library, every Saturday afternoon, with my sister and father, choose books at the wonderful old library and then four bags of sweets from the Paragon sweet shop across from the cinema. Think it later became Hibberts. We sat with the radio on and read our books. My father always chose books for my mother! When the Paragon Cinema was demolished, it became a Fine Fare supermarket, the first in the area and we went to see Violet Carson who played Ena Sharples in Coronation Street, open it. We were totally gob smacked as she was dressed so smartly with no hair net!!!

Does anyone remember the Housing office which was then on Bellhouse Road? It dealt with all and everything to do with local Council business.