House Alarm recommendations/questions - no quotes/advertising

I'm considering getting a house alarm fitted, so am looking for recommendations for both alarm systems and installers.

Looking to arrange for some quotes, so please pm me.

Debating if wireless or wired is the best way to go. Don't need the alarm to be linked to a service centre - just a stand alone one.

Any thoughts or information would be welcome!

I had Ashton Alarms do mine and the installation price is not bad.

another vote for ashton alarms. nice people.

Thank you for all the replies they are very helpful. I'd happily welcome any more suggestions! :)

C&H Alarms fitted my system 10 years ago & have looked after it ever since, i've been very happy with them :)

If you are at all handy get a Yale wireless alarm available from most DIY outlets for well under £200 for the very top of the range,.

Easy to fit [apart from the external box] Phones you up if it goes off , can be set by phone when you re out plus loads of other features including smoke alarm and panic alarm. No external wiring, holes in walls or mess from fitting, no annual maintenance charges etc

We've had ours ten years with only 1 problem and to cure that the helpline gave us the reset code.which cured the problem in 5 minutes, Before this we had very expensive hardwired alarms which were a pain in the $%£" and cost an arm and a leg to have fitted plus the ""maintenance charges" .

Can't recommend them highly enough.

Though no doubt fitters of expensive hardwired alarms will strongly disagree!

Edited by Odd-jobs

House alarms have become a necessity, indeed. House locks are not just enough.

What type of system did you choose? I am also looking for a home alarm system because of some recent crime in my neighborhood. I would like to find something that will let me know if a door or window opens. Does anyone know if ADT home security systems has that feature? I need some advice, thanks!

The system I have has vibration sensors on windows & doors plus contacts on doors. This means it alarms if someone tried to break in, rather than only going off once they are already in. There are PIRs in the lounge & dining room but I can deactivate them and part-set just the vipers & contacts, which means the dog can have the run of the house. Alarm systems are great but you can't beat a very large and menacing German Shepherd ;)