Grimesthorpe Part 3

Okay that name ringa a bell. Did anyone know a steel worker called abdul but his nick name was fred

https://i.imgur.com/7GFwWeD.jpg

The mosque on Botham Street. It's hard to picture the rows of terrace houses once here. There was a chip shop where the lamp post is, down the hill.

The people in the last photo are where these two cars are.

---------- Post added 17-11-2017 at 23:43 ----------

Looking down Grimesthorpe Road towards the old school, again not a soul to be seen.https://i.imgur.com/kNrHCar.jpg

---------- Post added 17-11-2017 at 23:55 ----------

https://i.imgur.com/lT0F47B.jpg

A far happier time when Grimesthorpe had people and characters living there. Johnny Butler's (on the right) races on Botham Street The start line is at the junction with Petre St. and probably in the fifties.

Edited by cat631
Added to.

Thanks cat631 - The pictures are mind blowing and were in my neck of the woods, as a young'un I was all over the areas depicted in the pictures, of course in slightly different surroundings than two of the images show now. fleetwood

That takes me back,looking at the botham street pics.Used to live at no 3,our house stood on its own,moved in when i was 3yrs old ,we shared the house with a Mr Fothergill,who lived in the back bedroom.As i got older used spend hell of a lot of time exploring the brick yard.i remember standing roadside of the green gat e up by the who can tell,when a dart stuck in my wrist,must have been thrown over the gate.Very painful at the time and i still have the scar .The teale family lived up from us,the father was german, he always had an alsatian that barked non stop.

Botham Street Photo.

Yes it is the legendary Grimesthorpe character, Albert Parr. JeanJ who often posts on here thinks the lady on the left of the photo could be Lottie Shaw who at one time ran The Prince of Wales with her husband.

Jean lived in the last bay windowed house on the left of the picture. Can anyone put a name to the other lady next to Johnny Butler?

Just around the corner from the mosque on Petre Street is a Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses. Grimesthorpe has become quite religious although I do wonder where the congregations come from as there are no houses in the area. When I took the photo there was no activity at the mosque and think it is not yet open or completed.

Looking down Grimesthorpe Road, about twenty five yards down the hill and on the right used to stand a chapel, does anyone have a photo of it please?

https://i.imgur.com/7GFwWeD.jpg

The mosque on Botham Street. It's hard to picture the rows of terrace houses once here. There was a chip shop where the lamp post is, down the hill.

The people in the last photo are where these two cars are.

---------- Post added 17-11-2017 at 23:43 ----------

Looking down Grimesthorpe Road towards the old school, again not a soul to be seen.https://i.imgur.com/kNrHCar.jpg

---------- Post added 17-11-2017 at 23:55 ----------

https://i.imgur.com/lT0F47B.jpg

A far happier time when Grimesthorpe had people and characters living there. Johnny Butler's (on the right) races on Botham Street The start line is at the junction with Petre St. and probably in the fifties.

The shop behind the lady, a family called Hemmingway used to run it.

Botham Street Photo.

Yes it is the legendary Grimesthorpe character, Albert Parr. JeanJ who often posts on here thinks the lady on the left of the photo could be Lottie Shaw who at one time ran The Prince of Wales with her husband.

Jean lived in the last bay windowed house on the left of the picture. Can anyone put a name to the other lady next to Johnny Butler?

Just around the corner from the mosque on Petre Street is a Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses. Grimesthorpe has become quite religious although I do wonder where the congregations come from as there are no houses in the area. When I took the photo there was no activity at the mosque and think it is not yet open or completed.

Looking down Grimesthorpe Road, about twenty five yards down the hill and on the right used to stand a chapel, does anyone have a photo of it please?

Hi cat631, Here is the Grimesthorpe Rd Primitive Methodist Chapel (courtesy of Picture Sheffield) Taken in the 1960's I think. I recall going there once or twice when we had a visit there from our Sunday School at Reform Chapel.

[Grimesthorpe%20Rd%20Primitive%20Methodist%20Chapel_zpsx5it42xx.jpg

Edited by johnpm

Hi cat631 and johnpm - The chapel on Grimesthorpe Rd was run by the Fidler family who lived over near Burngreave as I recall, (not letting me open that johnpm). The shot showing the race cat631, on that part of Botham St, we called the 'flags', that's the houses showing the step-up frontage on the rightside. fleetwood

can anyone remember the temperance hall near to the chapel, you went through a gateway and the hall was up a wooden stairway at the rear of the courtyard, sometimes held dances for teens and kids but they had more adults watching for couples dancing too close than dancers,also my sister taught at the chapel sunday school

Can I put a photo on here without having to put it on Photobucket? If so how can I do it please? Copying it doesn't seem to work - tried it with photo of Grimesthorpe Rd chapel.

it;s come up on mine

---------- Post added 20-11-2017 at 11:03 ----------

Can I put a photo on here without having to put it on Photobucket? If so how can I do it please? Copying it doesn't seem to work - tried it with photo of Grimesthorpe Rd chapel.

it;s come up on mine

Copy (left click) on the Sheffieldpicture URL comes up blue) then (Ctrl+C) and paste (Ctrl+V) into your post like this; http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;arc01201&pos=3&action=zoom&id=102444; works for me John.

Edited by Voldy
added info