A stone that 'drinks' water.. for arts and crafts..

So I want to make a small ice sculpture and wondered if there is a stone, even if I have to buy tiles of it like in a hardware store, that would take the water as it melts. Thanks for your help.

Unglazed terracotta is porous, but only once it's been fired properly. As 'clay' it's not very absorbent at all.

Why not buy the water retaining polymer 'crystals' you put in compost. The added advantage in my mind is that some of them look like crushed ice when fully hydrated. When you don't need them, dry them out again.

You could try using Similar items to Oasis? Used in flower arrangements. Or Sponges, , Anhydrous Chemicals.

You could try using Similar items to Oasis? Used in flower arrangements. Or Sponges, , Anhydrous Chemicals.

Oasis isn't pretty, neither are sponges designed to mop up spills.

Anhydrous chemicals are chemicals that don't contain water. It doesn't mean they will absorb water. Just thinking of the health and safety and insurance implications of that statement is mind boggling. I hope the OP doesn't take your advice or look to make a claim against your if they take up your suggestion.