BT price increase January 2018

They seem to be following in the footsteps of Virgin media who do this every year.,but not as much as B.T.

Just looking at the list on the link on MSE, BT are taking the p***. No idea what there prices are for the BB but I bet the price rises are about 10% also the call feature price increases are ridiculous, paper bill charge going up 25% and the 1571 feature going up 20%. Companies should not be allowed to raise prices by such a high percentage, especially as people are not getting pay rises anything like that.

There is a plus side to a price increase.

Under existing rules, if BT impose a price increase, you can switch to another provider even if you are still within a contract period, and BT cannot impose a penalty. You can even switch if you have pre-paid your line rental - BT are obliged to refund you on a pro-rata basis for the unused portion that you will not be using. Don't let BT advisers tell you you are not entitled to a refund - OffComm recently ruled against BT when a customer challenged their stance on refunds for pre-paid line rental. Google has an article from The Guardian regarding this.

How do I know? I had this very conversation with BT last night when I switched to another provider 3 months into an 18 month contract, saving myself £15 per month.

Edited by Guest

I've been out of contract with BT for well over a year now, and haven't heard a peep from them for quite some time!

The last call I got queried why I hadn't signed up for BT TV - when I explained that I hardly ever watch TV anyway, the caller tried to entice me into paying "slightly more" a month for some new deal!

Let's face it - if I don't watch it at a tenner a month, I'm hardly likely to agree paying even more to still not watch it!