Billy Connolly - Sheffield City Hall

Apparantly he mocked the afflicted ,using words like cripple and spastic and admitted he knew its not "PC" but he didnt give a toss!!! That his wife had warned him he cant use words like that but he said he couldnt give a ****!!!

That mustve offended some people surely????

Yes he did and not just once or twice either - I was very disappointed in him.

Apparantly he mocked the afflicted ,using words like cripple and spastic and coon!!!! he admitted he knew its not "PC" but he didnt give a toss!!! That his wife had warned him he cant use words like that but he said he couldnt give a ****!!!

Glad I didn't go then, I like to think I'm fairly open minded about such things, and I'm a Billy Connolly fan, but even he should know there's some things you DON'T joke about IMO! :loopy:

I would've expected offensive "jokes" from the likes of that fat git who goes by the name of Royston Vasey but I thought Billy had more class.

Apparantly he mocked the afflicted ,using words like cripple and spastic and coon!!!! he admitted he knew its not "PC" but he didnt give a toss!!! That his wife had warned him he cant use words like that but he said he couldnt give a ****!!!

I don't remember him using the first two in the show I saw but he did use the third one. However the context of it was that he was telling a story about the old Scottish comedians/entertainers on the working mens club circuit in the 70s and how someone, whose act was to "black up" and come on stage saying that word was immediately met, not once but twice, with a heckle that used another word beginning with c. The humour was in the WMC audience reaction to the racist 70s comedian, not in the use of the word.

I don't remember him using the first two in the show I saw but he did use the third one. However the context of it was that he was telling a story about the old Scottish comedians/entertainers on the working mens club circuit in the 70s and how someone, whose act was to "black up" and come on stage saying that word was immediately met, not once but twice, with a heckle that used another word beginning with c. The humour was in the WMC audience reaction to the racist 70s comedian, not in the use of the word.

Yes that's how I remember it too. But let's not let the truth get in the way of a good rant eh? The poster did use the word "apparantly" (sic) as well, which obviously excuses any slur made if not true.

Can't believe I missed him, one of my favourites. :(

Surely not ! I would have thought that if you pay for a ticket to see Billy Connolly you really need to be ready for non PC humour !:confused:

non PC humour, would that be Steve Jobs jokes?

Surely not ! I would have thought that if you pay for a ticket to see Billy Connolly you really need to be ready for non PC humour !:confused:

My thoughts exactly :D

Hi I was at this event. I was in the 'Cripple' aisle in my wheelchair. I can honestly say I was not offended in the least with what he said. I did notice a few able bodied people look in my direction to judge my reaction, when they saw I was laughing they turned back to the stage to enjoy what was said.

The things Billy said was not aimed at any particular person, it was more a dig at the PC brigaide. Unlike Frankie Boyle who directed his so called humour at Katie prices disabled child. When it's personal like that, it is offensive. I used to like Boyle, but will no longer watch his shows after his dig at Harvery Price. before anyone asks, No I am not a Katie Price fan.

As for the Connolly gig itself. I wasn't that impressed with the gig. He was still funny, just not what I had come to expect of ths comedy genuis. However after talking to friends who went to other gigs and hearing how much they enjoyed the show. I have come to the conclusion Billy was having an off night. Hardly surprising in the over heated venue he played in that night. It was so stuffy and hot I was losing concentration.

Edited by pixistix

I wasn't that impressed with the gig. He was still funny, just not what I had come to expect of ths comedy genuis. However after talking to friends who went to other gigs and hearing how much they enjoyed the show. I have come to the conclusion Billy was having an off night. Hardly surprising in the over heated venue he played in that night. It was so stuffy and hot I was losing concentration.

A lot of people don't get Billy when they go to a show having just heard soundbites of him on TV. His rambling, haphazard style is the reason why

so many people like him. He's not just a comedian reading out his act. He is also the only comedian who can make swearing funny. Many other comedians just sound desperate to be controversial when they swear. I also have a lot of respect for Billy in that he still tours the proper venues like the City Hall and Hammersmith Odeon. Others in his position would be chasing the big paydays in the Arenas and o2's.

My thoughts exactly :D

Just spotted this 4 year old thread, right after watching a bit of Billy Connolly on You Tube. I think it was quite recent as he is on about suicide bombers. It is done in Glasgow so he brings home the strong accent, making it difficult for outsiders. However there was a line that was pure classic. He was describing a terrorist suicide bombing instructor ranting on to his recruits like a sergeant major, He blurts out "Now pay close attention, I am only going to show you this once" LOL:D