What was there before Ponds Forge?

Hey, I work at Ponds Forge and was really interested in its proximity to the castle, and was thinking about researching the history of the land.

Now I know about the "hall in the ponds" aka the old queens head pub, but just wondered if anyone had any interesting information or facts for me? I see myself sitting in the archives for quite some time this year!!

thanks!! :)

well the old sheaf vally baths was on the corner near the bus station, cant remember the other side. Do remember going in a rent office at the side of the old queens head

On the 1905 map it shows the 'Electric Light Works' on the ground where ponds forge baths are now (which i think were the electricity supply offices)

The Pond Street area was mostly cutlery works, rolling mills and even a brewery on Pond St next to the Howard Hotel.

Edited by 40summat

I'm sure it was Joseph Rogers' forge/ (?) factory. (through the sixties into the eighties) I remember the building on that corner of Pond Hill and Sheaf Street.

Before that, in that area, there were a series of ponds and mill-races that supplied wheels and forges.

The Hunter Archaeological society had a talk from the Sheffield Archaeologists (acis?)a while back about the excavations outside the Sheffield train station which found the remnants of a dam/ reservoir for water.

I worked at Ponds Forge which was on the corner of Sheaf Street and Pond Hill and went as far as the bottom of Commercial Street across from the old Rag & Tag open market betwen 1959 & 1962. Ponds Forge was owned by denis Senior the son of George Senior whon the firm bore it's name, they manufactured steel and it was quite a compact unit. At the side of he Queens Head pub was a garage owned by Stuart Wragg who ran it with his son Alan, the rent ofice then ran to Sheaf Street along Pond Hill where there was a house for the caretaker a Mr. Eddie Hardy.

was'nt there some bus garages where they got repaired etc?

There was a bus parking area at the back of the Queens Head pub and to gain access you went between the Queens Head and the Rent Office on a sort of road that resembles the roads of today (rutted and pot holed) this area could accommate approx 25 vehicles being an ex-bus driver if they weren't stacked properly some would get knocked by Mr. Nobody.

I'm sure it was Joseph Rogers' forge/ (?) factory. (through the sixties into the eighties) I remember the building on that corner of Pond Hill and Sheaf Street.

Before that, in that area, there were a series of ponds and mill-races that supplied wheels and forges.

The Hunter Archaeological society had a talk from the Sheffield Archaeologists (acis?)a while back about the excavations outside the Sheffield train station which found the remnants of a dam/ reservoir for water.

I worked at Ponds Forge which was on the corner of Sheaf Street and Pond Hill and went as far as the bottom of Commercial Street across from the old Rag & Tag open market betwen 1959 & 1962. Ponds Forge was owned by denis Senior the son of George Senior whon the firm bore it's name, they manufactured steel and it was quite a compact unit. At the side of he Queens Head pub was a garage owned by Stuart Wragg who ran it with his son Alan, the rent ofice then ran to Sheaf Street along Pond Hill where there was a house for the caretaker a Mr. Eddie Hardy.

Seniors! Where did I get Rodgers from? they were the opposite side of Pond street, on Flat Street.

On Sheaf St , there used to be a Lewis Leathers bike shop ( just round the corner from t' bottom o' Commercial St )..before it moved down t' Moor... ( near Virgin Records)

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/zoom.pl?picture=http://www.picturesheffield.com/jpgh/u04112.jpg

City Council Housing Department Offices, former Joseph Rodgers &; Sons Ltd, Sheaf Island Works, junction of River Lane, right and Pond Hill, left - 1970

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/zoom.pl?picture=http://www.picturesheffield.com/jpgh/s15866.jpg

Pond Street Bus Station looking towards Pond Hill including Lyceum P.H., Sheffield United Tours, Joseph Rodger's Cutlery Works F.J.Brindley & Sons, Ponds Forge and Park District - 1950.

This is how I remember it as a kid in the 1950s - pretty dismal !

When they commenced work on Ponds Forge they uncovered some shallow coal workings.

Seniors! Where did I get Rodgers from? they were the opposite side of Pond street, on Flat Street.

You was right in the first place PT,

Rogers cutlery firm did have premises on Pond Hill,

I remember going there to buy day tickets to fish

their pond at Killamarsh

m&p

Edited by me-and-pippo