Auschwitz-Birkenau survivors

Do you think that there are any survivors left in Yorkshire area who survived the terrible camp at Auschwitz-Birkenau would be very interested to know thank you

Has anyone on here visited the camp in krakow

I am friends with a Polish person who grew up in the town of Oświęcim, next to the Auschwitz-Birkenau camp, museum and memorial. They are no longer in Sheffield, but they explained to me how deeply the Poles take the responsibility of looking after the memory of the site and everything that happened there.

One of the most devastating experiences in my life was to visit Auschwitz Memorial. Do visit if you ever get the chance.

So I hear we are traveling over to krakow in April not sure what to expect or feel

That excellent documentary "Night Will Fall" is on Netflix. Need a strong stomach to watch it. What horrible people those Nazis were.

It's a very moving experience going round the smaller place. Inside one of the barracks there is a map on the wall which shows just how large Birkenau was

I would have it on my to do list to visit, but and it's a great big BUT, I don't think I would be of the mind set that would enable me to go in there and come out without some kind of mental damage. Sleepless nights, not able to forget the horrors that occured there, that kind of thing. Uggg, it makes my flesh creep to imagine one human inflicting terrible deeds on totally innocent men, women and children for no reason whatever, other than praying to a different type of God.

Angel1

A mate visited, he's not one for much in the way of emotion but said he sobbed his eyes out when he got back to the hotel.

Not sure if it is as I left school a long time ago, but think it should be in lessons

To tell young people what happend all those years ago to try and explain how we can never let this happen ever again

Lien . The camp is not in krakow it's a hour and a half drive away. I and my wife visited the camps in June last year whilst in krakow for the weekend. As for the question of not knowing how to feel or what to expect that will depend on your general character. I found it a deeply moving experience although I didn't go back to the hotel and sob.As this is a major tour attraction you expect diverse visitors with different views and outlooks. This I noted whilst outside the famous gates at the entrance to the camp people posing and smiling in front of their self ie sticks. I wonder if they felt as light hearted after the tour. If they did then they should have stayed in krakow and gone on a boat trip.

One of the most devastating experiences in my life was to visit Auschwitz Memorial. Do visit if you ever get the chance.

not really I feel that we did not learn from that, do you not think politics just let it happen again? so much for the EU and the UK?

That excellent documentary "Night Will Fall" is on Netflix. Need a strong stomach to watch it. What horrible people those Nazis were.

a lot of those "Nazis" were just normal German people who got swept up in it all, i think the title "Nazis" is used to allow the Germanic people an escape route out of their countries atrocities,