The way things used to be .

Sat here on a snowy Sunday I have thinking about how things used to be.

So I will start with that very day that was so precious to most Sheffield folk in the not to distant past .

Sunday was the day that almost all of us had the day of from work, it was the day to relax , to visit loved ones , to have a couple of pints in the pub or club before sitting down to a traditional dinner ,a dinner always inc a Yorkshire pudding that we all used to boast about as it almost knocked the oven door off when it raised and was ready .

The pudding was always eaten before the main dinner ,a meal that always inc two or three veg plus potatoes and a Sunday joint bought from the local butcher or the Meat Market.

All this was topped of by a big pot of onion gravy and mint sauce and the meal was the high light of every ones week as it involved the whole family sitting down at the table and actually conversing with each other.

After dinner while us kids washed the pots ,Mam and Dad would nip up stairs for a well earned rest :hihi: re entering the fray just as Stars on Sunday was tuned in on the T.V.

That was also the time when the luncheon meat sandwiches and cream cake from Davies was passed around and washed down with a strong mug of tea.

Sunday was a time when all the shops were closed ,when the pubs closed at 2P.M. and all the factories shut down on a Saturday lunch time giving hard working family's time to rest and enjoy family life to the full .

Football matches were played and were played in on a Saturday and that day was also special as we all eagerly listened for the results and checked our pools hoping to have won the seventy five thousand that would have made every day a Sunday.

Any more how things used to be memories .

Edited by Albert smith

You see Sunday as I see it in the past, very true and may I add listening to Family Favourites in the morning on the radio with Jimmy Clitheroe in the afternoon and the dreaded (now fondly remembered) Sing something simple

You see Sunday as I see it in the past, very true and may I add listening to Family Favourites in the morning on the radio with Jimmy Clitheroe in the afternoon and the dreaded (now fondly remembered) Sing something simple

Tuning in to radio Luxemburg to find out who was no one on top of the pops ,all the crackling whistling screeching from Alba or Bush would cut you of to give you the weather report from German bight :hihi:

And don"t forget billy cotton.

WAKEY WAKEY.

Lol, when I tell folks over here that a ventriloquist had a massively successful RADIO show, they assume I am kidding, as I do have a reputation for joking around.:D

---------- Post added 21-01-2018 at 17:11 ----------

Sat here on a snowy Sunday I have thinking about how things used to be.

So I will start with that very day that was so precious to most Sheffield folk in the not to distant past .

Sunday was the day that almost all of us had the day of from work, it was the day to relax , to visit loved ones , to have a couple of pints in the pub or club before sitting down to a traditional dinner ,a dinner always inc a Yorkshire pudding that we all used to boast about as it almost knocked the oven door off when it raised and was ready .

The pudding was always eaten before the main dinner ,a meal that always inc two or three veg plus potatoes and a Sunday joint bought from the local butcher or the Meat Market.

All this was topped of by a big pot of onion gravy and mint sauce and the meal was the high light of every ones week as it involved the whole family sitting down at the table and actually conversing with each other.

After dinner while us kids washed the pots ,Mam and Dad would nip up stairs for a well earned rest :hihi: re entering the fray just as Stars on Sunday was tuned in on the T.V.

That was also the time when the luncheon meat sandwiches and cream cake from Davies was passed around and washed down with a strong mug of tea.

Sunday was a time when all the shops were closed ,when the pubs closed at 2P.M. and all the factories shut down on a Saturday lunch time giving hard working family's time to rest and enjoy family life to the full .

Football matches were played and were played in on a Saturday and that day was also special as we all eagerly listened for the results and checked our pools hoping to have won the seventy five thousand that would have made every day a Sunday.

Any more how things used to be memories .

Don't forget the Tizer or Dandelion and Burdock with the Sunday dinner;)

---------- Post added 21-01-2018 at 17:18 ----------

Another thing,I remember when footballers never had a number higher than 11 on their shirts.When they started using a sub he was numder12, but he had to be named along with the starting 11before the match started.

Edited by Ontarian1981

Lol, when I tell folks over here that a ventriloquist had a massively successful RADIO show, they assume I am kidding, as I do have a reputation for joking around.:D

Another thing,I remember when footballers never had a number higher than 11 on their shirts.When they started using a sub he was numder12, but he had to be named along with the starting 11before the match started.

Yes, the sub (number 12) could only replace an injured player and not for tactical reasons. Subs were first allowed in League games at the start of the 1965-66 season but not in the FA Cup -and still only one- until the 1966-67 season.

---------- Post added 21-01-2018 at 19:31 ----------

Oddly thats nothing like my sundays

i would wake early, get out and skateboard or cycle. come back when it got dark

When I was a kid skateboards hadn't been invented but I think we got by.

---------- Post added 21-01-2018 at 19:42 ----------

And don"t forget billy cotton.

WAKEY WAKEY.

Then there was 'Round the Horne' (1965 ?) with it's double-entendre's, not that I got them anyway or knew the meaning of the phrase then.

Edited by stpetre
Add

Seem to remember my mum having days for tasks. Something like

Monday - washday

Tuesday - ironing

Wednesday - shopping and remember it's early closing

Thursday - cleaning

Friday - baking

Saturday was bath night

Sunday - rest

I'm sure others will fill in the gaps with their schedule

Yes, the sub (number 12) could only replace an injured player and not for tactical reasons. Subs were first allowed in League games at the start of the 1965-66 season but not in the FA Cup -and still only one- until the 1966-67 season.

---------- Post added 21-01-2018 at 19:31 ----------

When I was a kid skateboards hadn't been invented but I think we got by.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 21-01-2018 at 19:42 ----------

[/color]

Then there was 'Round the Horne' (1965 ?) with it's double-entendre's, not that I got them anyway or knew the meaning of the phrase then.

We had trolleys (homemade)

And beyond our ken, use to sit in our shed listening on my tranny, laughing my head of.

Seem to remember my mum having days for tasks. Something like

Monday - washday

Tuesday - ironing

Wednesday - shopping and remember it's early closing

Thursday - cleaning

Friday - baking

Saturday was bath night

Sunday - rest

I'm sure others will fill in the gaps with their schedule

Don't Know about your house but in ours it was a specific meal for a specific day

Sunday was a roast

Monday was sunday roast left over fried up

Tuesday Pork chops

Wednesday Stew and dumplings

Cant remember the rest

If you wanted anything different you made it yourself and bought it yourself Or put another way you had what was put in front of you or went hungry :)

Edited by darra

Don't Know about your house but in ours it was a specific meal for a specific day

Sunday was a roast

Tuesday Pork chops

Wednesday Stew and dumplings

Cant remember the rest

If you wanted anything different you made it yourself and bought it yourself Or put another way you had what was put in front of you or went hungry :)

Sunday was a roast

Tuesday Pork chops or sausages

Wednesday Hash

Thursday Meat and potato pie

Friday can't remember

Saturday lunch Fish and chips and beans on toast for tea.

My sister kept this up throughout her married life as well!

Tuning in to radio Luxemburg to find out who was no one on top of the pops ,all the crackling whistling screeching from Alba or Bush would cut you of to give you the weather report from German bight :hihi:

And 'Your DJ, BA' (Barry Alldis).

---------- Post added 21-01-2018 at 22:22 ----------

We had trolleys (homemade)

And beyond our ken, use to sit in our shed listening on my tranny, laughing my head of.

Why did you have to sit the shed ? I heard it on the wireless on Sunday, my mother had no idea (thankfully) what they were on about and my dad had yet to come home from the pub, the Sunday lunchtime edition.

---------- Post added 21-01-2018 at 22:35 ----------

Tizer and Dandelion and Burdock were then made by Pickups, a Manchester company and was produced on purpose to made kids belch at the most inappropriate times, as when the family had company. What is Burdock anyway ?

Edited by stpetre
Add