''The war on men''

In the news yesterday

46% of employers agreed it was reasonable to ask women if they have young children during the recruitment process

44% agree women should work for an organisation for at least a year before deciding to have children

About one third believe that women who become pregnant and new mothers in work are "generally less interested in career progression"

41% of employers agreed that pregnancy in the workplace puts "an unnecessary cost burden" on the workplace

51% agree there is sometimes resentment towards women who are pregnant or on maternity leave

Oh, I bet it's much higher than that. I imagine that those surveyed were either HR pros or just gave the politically correct answer, not the real one.

Women make different life choices. That is absolutely fine.

Penalising women for having the ability to make, or for making, those life choices is illegal.

Penalising women for having the ability to make, or for making, those life choices is illegal.

It certainly is. And?

In the news yesterday

---------- Post added 20-02-2018 at 10:58 ----------

As you've stated it it appears to be entirely on merit and I can't see any reason it would be discriminatory, gender appears on the face of it to be irrelevant.

I'm not sure that amount of overtime done should be a basis for a payrise myself, the overtime is already paid, it doesn't require additional compensation on top of that. But perhaps it shows greater commitment and a willingness to go a bit extra when the company needs it. (But perhaps it shows that the company is understaffed and mismanaged and needs to hire more people).

Well done your right, however one of those scenarios would create a gender pay gap too.

With regards to overtime, it's called flexibility or commitment in manufacturing and other such businesses where time to complete orders is critical and can lead to penalties or order/job losses.

Extra hours, weekends, long shifts, rotating patterns etc are standard practice when a company is busy and there is a heavy workload, some production/ manufacturing is 24/7 customers set deadlines and some want it last week, it's not easy to just recruit inexperienced and skilled people to complete orders, though some do try, so wanting time off and throwing sickies is unproductive.

As for mismanaged, there are a lot of employees out there who would tell you they are ;)

Edited by Michael_W

I personally declare war on men.....

:hihi: Love you really men :love:

I surrender :)

It certainly is. And?

It's illegal, but evidence suggests that it still happens, a lot.

So women are still fighting for equality. Hence there is no "war on men", there is an ongoing fight for equality for women.

---------- Post added 21-02-2018 at 10:27 ----------

Well done your right, however one of those scenarios would create a gender pay gap too.

With regards to overtime, it's called flexibility or commitment in manufacturing and other such businesses where time to complete orders is critical and can lead to penalties or order/job losses.

Extra hours, weekends, long shifts, rotating patterns etc are standard practice when a company is busy and there is a heavy workload, some production/ manufacturing is 24/7 customers set deadlines and some want it last week, it's not easy to just recruit inexperienced and skilled people to complete orders, though some do try, so wanting time off and throwing sickies is unproductive.

As for mismanaged, there are a lot of employees out there who would tell you they are ;)

This wouldn't create a gender pay gap, it would create an employee A and employee B pay gap.

If you wish to argue that women are more likely to be off ill, less likely to do overtime and less flexible, then I wish you well proving that. Go for it.

Anecdotal, i know, but where i work we had someone going off on maternity leave. The job was advertised as a temporary post and the vacancy was filled by an employee from another office... who was about to go off on maternity leave.

If you're a manager and this happens, you're going to be slightly miffed. And what if it's in the public sector with tax payer's money paying the wages?

I can't really understand why someone already close to maternity leave would be applying for different roles internally, seems like an odd thing to do.

If you wish to argue that women are more likely to be off ill, less likely to do overtime and less flexible, then I wish you well proving that. Go for it.

This study (in US) shows that men are more likely to do overwork:

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0003122414528936

Of course this isn't the reason for total gender pay gap, just one of the factors contributing to it.

It's illegal, but evidence suggests that it still happens, a lot.

So women are still fighting for equality. Hence there is no "war on men", there is an ongoing fight for equality for women.

---------- Post added 21-02-2018 at 10:27 ----------

This wouldn't create a gender pay gap, it would create an employee A and employee B pay gap.

So you don't think women are rewarded less for their tendency to do less hours, have more sick days and be less flexible ?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?dcr=0&source=hp&ei=Yo2NWvyKFYmVgQb_76yYBQ&q=women+are+more+likely+to+be+off+work+sick&oq=women+are+more+likely+to+be+off+work+sick&gs_l=psy-ab.3...2271.15415.0.15963.41.36.0.0.0.0.448.3755.22j11j0j1j1.35.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..6.7.1433...0j46j0i131k1j0i46k1j0i10k1.0.S2F5M_ETSe0

https://www.google.co.uk/search?ei=yY6NWtX3GYa4gQaT4J6wCw&q=do+women+do+less+overtime+than+men&oq=do+women+do+less+overtime+than+men&gs_l=psy-ab.3...7465.8000.0.8917.3.3.0.0.0.0.77.207.3.3.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.lRfoIlNVNYk

https://www.google.co.uk/search?source=hp&ei=a46NWve5OpH8gAb_0o6ACw&q=are+women+less+flexible+than+men+in+the+workplace&oq=are+women+less+flexible+than+men+in+the+workplace&gs_l=psy-ab.3...1619.12972.0.13939.50.47.0.2.2.0.128.3252.45j2.47.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..1.10.746.0..0j0i131k1.0.8YV5SkX2Uw0

Three simple searches, treat your educated opinion to them.

Here's another search it brought up enough results despite your claim 'There is no war on Men'.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?source=hp&ei=BpONWuGENOmQgAapvIDgCQ&q=The+war+on+men&oq=The+war+on+men&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0j0i22i30k1j0i22i10i30k1j0i22i30k1l2.1280.3853.0.5888.15.11.0.1.1.0.374.1343.8j2j0j1.11.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..3.12.1371.0..46j0i131k1j0i46k1j0i10k1.0.TxfFkdEWTbE

Edited by Michael_W

Not what I said.

I said you have to prove that women have more sick days, do less hours and are less flexible.

And then prove that this isn't a societal construct that forces them to behave like that because their husbands (in the case that they have them) are expected to be more flexible, to not take time out for a sick child, to not take the child to the doctors, etc...

Google searches don't prove anything, if you search for "why the earth is flat" you'll find plenty of links explaining to you why it's so. Mac33 hasn't followed a link yet that he didn't believe. Flat earth, fake moon landing, chem trails, elvis not dead, roswell aliens, and so on.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?safe=off&ei=ypmNWuzVDMfPgAaM8bjADQ&q=the+patriarchy+and+mysoginy&oq=the+patriarchy+and+mysoginy&gs_l=psy-ab.3...11678.22606.0.22819.33.29.2.2.2.0.205.3454.12j14j2.28.0..2..0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..1.24.2881...0j35i39k1j0i67k1j0i131i67k1j0i131k1j0i22i30k1j0i22i10i30k1j33i160k1.0.haICylH_4wk

Edited by Cyclone