Why do we need a god?

More to the point, how would we know?

there is no point.

More to the point however, my statement that I don't think we should put animals in cages because they suffer is merely because it makes ME feel bad. Reflected suffering. If I didn't feel bad then I would happily allow them to suffer. This is true of anyone.

Edited by TimmyR

I’m not religious, but my friends who are cope with death and illness better than my friends who are atheists.

They do say that religion exists to frighten children and comfort old people. My experience of friends facing death is that those who are contented with how they have lived their lives find it easier to face death than those with regrets.

We wouldn't know if any animal foresaw or feared its own death. We have no way of knowing.

We wouldn't know if any animal foresaw or feared its own death. We have no way of knowing.

" But if dogs have a heaven, there's one thing I know, Old Shep has a wonderful home" :thumbsup: lol

Maybe. As mentioned before though, religion will always be around be it Christianity, Islam, Buddhism etc, so God will be around.

Regardless, Christianity's decline is predicted in the Bible so it is expected to a degree.

You think the bible is an accurate guide to the future? or the past.

You think the bible is an accurate guide to the future? or the past.

don't know is it fiction or fact

I think we all need a spiritual dimention to our lives whether we call it 'God' or not. We have a capacity for infinite wonder, so might as well use it to explore possibilities and seek answers.

---------- Post added 21-02-2018 at 02:00 ----------

I’m not religious, but my friends who are cope with death and illness better than my friends who are atheists.

I have a friend who is religious and terminally ill, and she is getting on with her life and I know her faith will help her when the time comes. I’m not sure I could carry on with the same dignity as my friend.

I don’t believe you do need god, you just need a faith, whether it’s Buddhist, Paganism or want ever there is out there.

I agree with this.

We tend to bad mouth religion a lot these days for being behind wars etc, but forget that at the simplest level Churches / temples etc can do a lot of good. They help create communities and a sense of belonging, help others

and do good work.

As the Dalai Lama said, 'My religion is very simple, my religion is kindness.'

Edited by Anna B

don't know is it fiction or fact

The book of Genesis tells you all you need to know about that. Walt Disney would have a hard time bettering that fairy story. Talking snakes and ribs disappearing in the middle of the night. Poor Adam wakes up with a pain in the rib cage and an apple loving pain in the arse parked up beside him.

Edited by Ontarian1981

I think we all need a spiritual dimention to our lives whether we call it 'God' or not. We have a capacity for infinite wonder, so might as well use it to explore possibilities and seek answers.

a capacity for infinite wonder? A more concrete concept I have never heard.

The book of Genesis tells you all you need to know about that. Walt Disney would have a hard time bettering that fairy story. Talking snakes and ribs disappearing in the middle of the night. Poor Adam wakes up with a pain in the rib cage and an apple loving pain in the arse parked up beside him.

You're for it now! :o

Not in this country apparently, can't use the word Christmas, and can't put the word EASTER on chocolate eggs.

Not in this country apparently, can't use the word Christmas, and can't put the word EASTER on chocolate eggs.

Which country is that?