Railway strike 2016–2018

I know what duties guards have and I am all in favour of all trains having a second safety critical member of staff on board. What has yesterday's incident got to do with this, however?

It is just an example of an incident where a guard may be required to deal with various things, in some instances it can be very traumatic for the driver and the passengers need to be kept on the train for safety reasons, trains can be stationary for a long time.

It is just an example of an incident where a guard may be required to deal with various things, in some instances it can be very traumatic for the driver and the passengers need to be kept on the train for safety reasons, trains can be stationary for a long time.

But not in yesterday's incident, as it was a driver only operated service :(.

I agree that the presence of a guard should be of massive benefit in such incidents, not only in dealing with the passengers and driver but also in protecting the train and communicating with the emergency services. In this instance the driver seems to have been physically unharmed, but that is by no means always the case, and he/she might easily have been traumatised and incapable of doing a great deal.

I fear, however, that the fight to retain a second safety critical member of staff on trains has been lost. After all, the rot set in 35 years ago when the first driver only service started between St Pancras and Bedford.

Edited by Library

I fear, however, that the fight to retain a second safety critical member of staff on trains has been lost. After all, the rot set in 35 years ago when the first driver only service started between St Pancras and Bedford.

It often make business sense to have 2 employees on a train.

A train 'decoupled' last week, on its way into Leeds Station - causing major delays to services.

Read more at: https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/mayhem-at-leeds-station-as-train-splits-in-two-1-9006706

Those delays would cost the operator millions because of fines that they have to pay when trains are late. I believe cost cutting was an issue, but not 2 staff members on the train. I am told the train operator has recently tried to save money on maintenance, and its cost them dearly.

It often make business sense to have 2 employees on a train.

A train 'decoupled' last week, on its way into Leeds Station - causing major delays to services.

Read more at: https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/mayhem-at-leeds-station-as-train-splits-in-two-1-9006706

Those delays would cost the operator millions because of fines that they have to pay when trains are late. I believe cost cutting was an issue, but not 2 staff members on the train. I am told the train operator has recently tried to save money on maintenance, and its cost them dearly.

OK - so tell me how two employees on the train helps there? Surely you are not expecting them to push the two havles back together again and do the couplings back up?

Why on earth would a guard have helped in this? Two people dealing with a train vs one person dealing with a train - regardless they are always going to be overwhelmed.

If ASLEF carry on this way they will end up with noone driving at all - the DLR manages a good job and doesnt go on strike all the time...

Maybe the person who actually drove the train into a vehicle and people died as a result isn’t going to function very well in the aftermath. I think that’s the point being made. At least a guard would have not experienced that and could in theory cope better.

Maybe the person who actually drove the train into a vehicle and people died as a result isn’t going to function very well in the aftermath. I think that’s the point being made. At least a guard would have not experienced that and could in theory cope better.

It does seem that Obelix does not like guards!

---------- Post added 19-02-2018 at 10:50 ----------

OK - so tell me how two employees on the train helps there? Surely you are not expecting them to push the two havles back together again and do the couplings back up?

It was an example of a company trying to save money, that ended up costing them more.

I believe guards do have some responsibility in regard to couplings, but I don't know what happened in that case.

It does seem that Obelix does not like guards!

Where have I said that?

Well?

I've said nothing on that particular emotion at all. You've decided to latch onto for your own purposes. Do not ascribe thoughts or emotions to me that are clearly not mine.

I’d rather have a train with a guard on it but....

Are there any stats on the safety aspects. Are there more injuries or deaths on driver-only trains? What about revenue for train companies, is that affected? For example if after factoring in collection of fares the cost of guards is neutral then surely better to keep them? How many services get cancelled because of guard shortages? Any data on that?

It was an example of a company trying to save money, that ended up costing them more.

I believe guards do have some responsibility in regard to couplings, but I don't know what happened in that case.

Really? You mean you know that the direct result of some action that occured has been because they were saving money and that cost them more?

Or perhaps wait for the RAIB report on the incident?

Also - might be news - but EVERY properly run company tries to save money. Thats a simple fact and not something you should be waving around like you ahve a golden ticket to corporate malfeasance. A Board that doesnt try to same money and be prudent with the company funds is in fact legally derelict in their duties!

I’d rather have a train with a guard on it but....

Are there any stats on the safety aspects. Are there more injuries or deaths on driver-only trains?

Driver only trains are more modern, they need CCTV for the driver to be able to view the passengers that are boarding, trains and platforms are not always straight. Tube trains would be a good example, can you compare a tube train with hardly any gap between the train and platform?

People with disabilities are sometimes helped by the guard, into the station and into the train, will the driver do that? Not the same issue on modern stations.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-20339630

Edited by El Cid