Osborne House - Minto Road

Hi Jonathan - as mentioned in post #3 above the occupant of Osborne House in the 1911 census was given as William Swift, a "steel rolling mill manager". Here is a link to a scan of the census page. The later directories I have from the 1920s to the 1940s show "Dr Francis Joseph Birks, M.B., physician & surgeon" at Osborne House. I also remember a Dr Birks who had a surgery nearby at 172 Dykes Hall Road, on the corner of Leader Road in the 1950s and 1960s - he appears in directories as "Dr Francis D. Birks" - perhaps he was a relative. I do recall that as a schoolboy in 1964 I delivered the post over Christmas and I had a card addressed to "The Three Birks, 172 Dykes Hall Road"..:P

Bit of a random question, but does anyone know of any history of the building Osborne House on Minto Rod in Hillsborough? Trying to find information on the internet is proving to impossible so I wonder if it used to called something else?? I understand it was a children's home ran by nuns back in the day. Any info gratefully received. :)
Osborne House was built for William Swift, Owner of rolling mills in Owlerton. He lived there until his death then his son William Swift lived there with his family of six children and

maids etc. He left the house in 1924 and built at High Bradfield. My mother was born in Osborne House, the youngest of his six children. The House was then occupied by the Sisters of Mercy, until the present nursery took over.