Loft Conversion advice MEGATHREAD- no advertising/quotations

Hi I am considering having a loft conversion with a raised hip and a large former window. I want to make a bedroom and an ensuite. I know the height of the roof is fine for this. I am wanting advice from people who have already gone through this process eg the costs of this and dos and don'ts. I also want recommendations for builders who people have used I am terrified of ending up with a cowboy builder situation. Thank you in advance for your help and advice.

You need to take advice from a building surveyor/engineer and engage an architect to draw up plans to submit a planning application first of all. Regulations are very stringent and require an integrated fire alarm system throughout the property and fire doors on all rooms (not just in the loft conversion). It can be done but it's not a cheap or simple undertaking, good luck!

Can anyone recommend anyone for converting a loft space? Not a full conversion just making it into usable space so full boarding and plastering etc?

Can anyone recommend anyone for converting a loft space? Not a full conversion just making it into usable space so full boarding and plastering etc?

Will this be an occasional room or in use all the time?

Will you upgrade the ceiling/floor joists (highly recomended).

Will you be fitting a roof window for natural light (you'll need Building Control for this)?

New radiators?

New lighting & sockets ?

Will this be an occasional room or in use all the time?

Will you upgrade the ceiling/floor joists (highly recomended).

Will you be fitting a roof window for natural light (you'll need Building Control for this)?

New radiators?

New lighting & sockets ?

These are the kind of things I wish to discuss as I'm not 100% certain. However I'd be looking at it being more of a full storage room as opposed to a usable room. I have it partially boarded now but it's a very big space and I'd like it to be a lot better.

Hello. I live in a two bedroom stone built terrace house in a conservation area of a village in the Peak Park. I have a small truss loft which I would like to use for storage with the addition of rooflights, electrics, flooring, cupboards, shelves, insulation and stud walls to be plastered. Present access is by a small hatch but I would prefer, if possible, to add a proper staircase from the first floor. I wish to comply with all necessary building regulations and apply for planning consent if required. I already have consent to extend the property by a front porch and rear single-storey room.

Please contact me if you are interested in advising and quoting for all or any of the proposed work and can provide references regarding similar work completed. This applies to the loft storage and/or extensions. The loft to be completed ASAP and the porch started by March 2018. I am able to project- manage myself but please advise your price for this too. Thanks.

Edited by johnlittle

I'm not sure how active this thread is, but could anyone estimate the usable amount of space I'd gain by a loft conversion, based on an aerial photo (ie a google maps overhead view) of the house?

It's not a straight forwards shaped roof it's a hip roof with a dog legged ridge line! And an extension to one side.

I suppose it's possible that as part of a conversion one side of the roof could be turned into gabled and then front and rear dormers added, but I'm only speculating really.

Morning all,

We are thinking about putting an offer in on a house in Greenhill but for it to work for us we would want to carry out a loft conversion to add an extra bedroom.

I'm therefore wondering if there is anyone who knows of a loft conversion company who would be happy to attend a second viewing with us to take a look at the loft and see if it would be possible, with a view to taking the work on once we had moved in. Has anyone taken someone to do a viewing for something sinilar or any tradespeople who'd do this?

Thanks,

Milly

Can’t see any other threads on lofts, so waking this one up.

Our loft was converted years ago, has electric, rads and a dormer etc. It has old, nasty artex so we’d like all the plastering pulling down and replacing, a couple of extra sockets, might also need the floor reboarding too - not sure.

Job for a builder? Plasterer and chippy? Not too sure.

Thanks

Hello,

I’m in the process of buying a mid terraced house which is advertised as a 2 bedroom property. Following the full survey I found out that it’s technically a one bedroom property with an attic room, and it doesn’t comply with the current building regulations due to fire safety issues. They can't provide a building regulation certificate or a completion certificate. The vendors say they don't know when the conversion took place and neither did the previous sellers. This sounds dodgy...or is it just me?

I would like to get a quote for any work that needs doing to ensure the attic room complies with current regulations in order for it to be classed as a second bedroom. I’m hoping to get the work done prior to moving in.

I can provide photos of the property and the full survey. Can anyone recommend someone for me to get an approximate quote within the next couple of days? I need it for negotiating the asking price. I understand the quote might change once you've visited the property.

Thank you :) 

It's quite normal for older houses to have had such conversions in the past.  Many Walkley terraces would be the same.  And most things in an older house won't comply with modern building regs.