Cineworld and IMAX megathread

I'd like to go watch Avatar but i dont know if i should in Cineworld Sheffield (Screen 7) or go to IMAX manchester...

I've loved all of James Cameron's previous movies but i have never seen any of them at the Cinema so i'd like to watch Avatar at the best screen possible!

does anyone know the exact sizes of the Cineworld Sheffield Screen 7 (largest on there)

and

the IMAX Manchester?

any other info would be helpful too!

thanks

Don't know the exact sizes but I've been to both and in the one in Manchester blew me away. I wasn't expecting it to be any better than the big one in Sheffield but I was amazed the first time I went.

One tip though, if you do go to the imax one make sure you don't sit anywhere near the front or prepare to hurt your neck leaning back the whole time!

One tip though, if you do go to the imax one make sure you don't sit anywhere near the front or prepare to hurt your neck leaning back the whole time!

I would recommend going to an IMAX cinema but I disagree about not sitting anywhere near the front. I used to go to the IMAX in Bradford (the screen is about five storeys high but the auditorium is quite small and the rows of seats are banked very steeply) and if I could I sat right at the front because the screen filled my field of vision so I felt immersed in the film (and especially if it was an IMAX demonstration film which included things like footage taken from a camera strapped to the underside of a plane taking off over the edge of a cliff). Whenever I sat near the back (either in Bradford or at the IMAX in the Trocadero in London) it wasn't as good because the screen didn't tower over me in the same way.

Really, right at the very front?

One time I was in the very front row and you couldn't even fit the whole screen into one field of vision, I mean like you said it's 8 storeys high! I had to turn my neck to look at different parts of the screen!

Really, right at the very front?

One time I was in the very front row and you couldn't even fit the whole screen into one field of vision, I mean like you said it's 8 storeys high! I had to turn my neck to look at different parts of the screen!

I haven't been to the Manchester one but in Bradford the front row was very close to the screen and if you sat in the middle of the front row and leant back you could see very little other than the screen. Add in the volume and the complexity of the sound system and the effect was almost overpowering (and that was before the new generation of 3D films came along). Maybe with an even bigger screen you could get the same effect a few rows back from the front but I would rather be at the front than the back.

We were made aware of this a few weeks back, but had to wait for the news to be official. Well, in the new year not only is Cineworld Sheffield getting a Starbucks, but we are also converting one of our screens to IMAX. Hopefully in time for John Carter (early March), but definitely in time for Dark knight Rises.

Details on ticket prices and Unlimited discounts are yet to be confirmed.

Exciting stuff!! Looking forward to drinking my fave frap while watching a film!!

Will they charge Unlmited card users extra for IMAX viewings like they charge extra £1.50 for 3D now? I only ask because call me tight, but I object on principle to being charged the extra when I already pay £15 a month for the card!

Hope Sheffield has better luck with Imax than we did in Bournemouth....It's stood empty for ages, just blocking the views of the sea as you drive into town....:( what a waste......

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/9206208.What_does_the_future_hold_for_the_Imax_building_/

Edited by Joanl
add link

This really is rather awesome news!