Menschen in Sheffield, 60s Documentary.

Last night I was given a copy of Menschen In Sheffield, a documentary by gerrman film maker Peter Nestler. Made in 1965, it shows ordinary folk at work, school, down the market, on busses and long segments featuring life at the Dial House Club.

Most of the club acts were great and one set of lads dressed as cavemen would give the Arctic Monkeys a run for their money.

The source of the film was the TV station 3sat.

Has anyone else seen it?

When I had the old Sky analogue box I used to watch quite a lot of German telly. I dont speak German but having been around Germans quite a lot I manage to understand a fair bit of the lingo.

Sky then conned me into going digital, and what a load of rubbish that was. No foreign channels, no rock concerts from German venues, only old repeats and more bloody football than ever. I cancelled my subscription.

When was this documentary on? My wife is German and we have a sat box which picks up Das Erste, RTL, 3Sat, ProSieben, German Europsport etc Maybe I can catch a repeat, although German channels don't tend to show so many repeats.

It was shown in the last couple of years, my friend made me a copy from video tape which is watchable but grainy, it would be nice to get a digital copy. I wonder if Local Studies has it?

The 3Sat website has info on the film, but I don't understand much of it, does it mention any repeats? http://www.3sat.de/film/woche/31224/

On a different subject: Can I ask commuter - do you celebrate New Year's Eve with a viewing of Dinner For One. It seems to be a German tradition and one I have recently adopted. Info here:

http://www.selkirkshire.demon.co.uk/analoguesat/dinnerforone.html &

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinner_for_One

I'll get my wife to have a look at the 3sat site and see if it talks about repeats - my German is still sehr schlect! - as demonstrated

Dinner for one is indeed a tradition we have adopted and hope to pass this on to the uninitiated. It's amazing that the German (Swiss and apparently Noweigian) New Year is dominated by repeated showings of a 20 minute comedy sketch by Freddie Frinton (originally from Hull I believe). The first time I met my parents in law was when I was invited to "Dinner for One" and mistakenly thought I was being diplomatically told by my father in law that I should leave his daughter alone and spend the evening on my own :hihi:

For the first time this year we arrived at 1 a.m. on NY day at a party in full swing with a video of the show which had the English audience rolling around (alcohol induced instability I think) I found the info below on the bbc website.

"Since his death at the age of 53 on 16 October 1968, Freddie Frinton has achieved phenomenal cult status as a comedian in Scandinavia, by way of a 1963 West German TV film of a British music-hall sketch 'Dinner For One', adapted for TV as Same Procedure As Last Year. (A German director saw the piece being performed in Blackpool and realised that audiences in his home country would enjoy it.) Screened annually around New Year's Eve in Sweden, Norway and Denmark, the 18-minute skit, with English dialogue, depicts Frinton as an ageing butler serving a birthday dinner for his mistress Miss Sophie (May Warden), and becoming increasingly drunk as he consumes the drinks served for her now-deceased former friends. Oddly, with the possible exception of a performance by Frinton in a Swiss TV show screened by the BBC, also in 1963, it is thought that the sketch has not been shown on British TV."

http://www.selkirkshire.demon.co.uk/analoguesat/dinnerforone.html

It was shown in the last couple of years, my friend made me a copy from video tape which is watchable but grainy, it would be nice to get a digital copy. I wonder if Local Studies has it?

The 3Sat website has info on the film, but I don't understand much of it, does it mention any repeats? http://www.3sat.de/film/woche/31224/

On a different subject: Can I ask commuter - do you celebrate New Year's Eve with a viewing of Dinner For One. It seems to be a German tradition and one I have recently adopted. Info here:

http://www.selkirkshire.demon.co.uk/analoguesat/dinnerforone.html &

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinner_for_One

I had a look at the 3sat websiter and it doesn't give any information about repeats, this only talks about th film maker and the background to the film, and what he was trying to capture. Interesting though, if you do manage to get a copy I'd love to see it:)

The copy I have is from VHS onto DVD and then copied onto my PC. The file is about 650Mb so would fit onto a CD. I can do copies for the really interested if they have something interesting for swapsies. E.G. decent copy of Dinner For One, or well anything!

When was this documentary on? My wife is German and we have a sat box which picks up Das Erste, RTL, 3Sat, ProSieben, German Europsport etc Maybe I can catch a repeat, although German channels don't tend to show so many repeats.

Commuter

Can you tell me which sat box this is. I have tried for years to pick up European channels.

Thanks in advance.

It's a WISI box (OR96) and an 80cm eliptical dish pointing at Astra. We picked it up in Germany from MediaMarkt and shipped it over when my wife moved here. There is a satellite shop on Abbeydale Rd just past Sheldon Rd/Oddbins, the older guy in there was quite knowledgable (but he did tell us the same thing each time we went in, it felt like groundhog day) and was able to supply a few additional bits - mounting brackets and very good quality but cheap cable.

I saw the documentary a few weeks ago. My sister managed to get a copy from a friend. It's fantastic (in a very strange kind of way) and I would definitely recommend it. There's no dialogue and the narration is in German. The first half of the film is filmed in Sheffield City Centre in the 60's and shows people shoping, queuing for buses etc. That might sound boring but it's not, it's facinating.

The 2nd half is filmed in the Dial House Club and shows people drinking etc in the club. It also shows several of the acts performing.

We actually used the film as part of a 1960's murder mystery night we had and it was brilliant!

Commuter

Can you tell me which sat box this is. I have tried for years to pick up European channels.

Thanks in advance.

Yerman, just found the user manual stored on my pc for the digibox we have, if you want it pm me your email and I'll send it to you.