Violet may records

hi does anyone rememberviolet mays record shop think it was on the corner of matilda street, there were tousands of records and LPs in stock, and if she didnt have she would get it for you cause most of the records had been delisted she found quite a few for me that had delisted:love:

cookie, yes, she got me trout mask replica, beefheart. Good person.

There is lots of info about Violet on the forum, use the search box.

I used to be in Violets on a reguler basis. I usedto go in her old shop where the big Park roundabout now stands just down from the Rag and Tag market before she moved to Matilda street. She had an amazing stock of old soul imports she was great. Does anyone know if she is still with us.

Does anyone know if she is still with us.
Sadly, no - Violet May Barkworth died in 1995, aged 85. There is a book about her called "Shades of Violet" - see here.

Thats very sad she used to look after me when i was about 13 with no money. I wanted a Miracles LP and she got it me and charged me virtually nothing. I thought she was indestructable.

cookie, yes, she got me trout mask replica, beefheart. Good person.

Thought when you were on about Trout mask you meant her. Never went into the shop without feeling I was going to be strip searched and that was as I walked through the door

Went in a few times for a browse. Remember one time I'd been looking for a record for ages kept being told it was unavailable so I went to see Violet. I asked if she'd got the record after a bit of thought she went and made a phone call then told me it would be in next week. Only charged £2.50 as well which was about the price for an L.P. in those days.

I used to go to her shop when it was on South Street before it moved round the corner..still got the lps.....

The latest issue of Down Your Way has a 3-page article about Violet May entitled Shades of Violet, the Vinyl Goddess. Here is a scan of one of the photos.

Edited by hillsbro

I used to be in Violets on a reguler basis. I usedto go in her old shop where the big Park roundabout now stands just down from the Rag and Tag market before she moved to Matilda street. She had an amazing stock of old soul imports she was great. Does anyone know if she is still with us.

Was it Broad Lane or Broad Street? She was fantastic, she loved what she was doing and was very good at it, a real piece of Sheffield history, RIP Violet.