Sheffield Fayre 2010 - 29 & 30 August - Norfolk Park

Fantastic Fun at Sheffield Fayre 2010

Sheffield Fayre takes place from 10.30am – 5.30pm, on the 29th & 30th August 2010 in Norfolk Heritage Park and entry is free! :)

The various attractions include favourites such as the Sheffield Horticultural Show and the largest "Through the Ages" Living History show in the North of England.

The History Camp ranges from Roman times to the Second World War, encompassing live battles and displays in costume with over 600 re-enactors.

The Horticultural Show brings out Sheffield's green-fingered experts, embracing competitions for amateurs and serious enthusiasts, with classes for families and children. A schedule of classes including crafts, culinary and junior classes is available on request from Centre in the Park.

This year Sheffield Fayre plays host to some very special side show illusions from the National Fairground Archive, based at Sheffield University, celebrating 200 years of P.T. Barnum. Barnum (1810-1891) was a showman, circus proprietor and universally acknowledged impresario whose influence continues today was the pioneer of the modern entertainment industry.

From Tom Thumb to the Greatest Show on Earth, his feats and exploits earned him international acclaim and everlasting fame, he was one of the world's greatest entertainers, to you and me, he could be the equivalent of Simon Cowell, but better. These sideshows will be an opportunity to see snippets of the weird and wonderful in Sheffield, not for the faint hearted….. please don't be scared.

If you visit the Town Hall after the 16th August look out for a special visitor in the foyer, promoting Sheffield Fayre, a specially commissioned piece of artwork by Sheffield artist Anthony Bennett. This 10 foot sculpture took over four months to create and depicts P.T. Barnum as half man, half insect, titled 'Humbug - What is it?' (See photo).

Other attractions at Sheffield Fayre include children's fair rides, a beach, Punch and Judy, a community tent, Ranger activities, a craft tent and market, charity duck race, entertainment for all of the family, food and refreshment stalls and lots more.

For more details or for a Horticultural Schedule email: centreinthepark@sheffield.gov.uk or call 0114 286 0400.

Thank You :cool:

Anyone know what the arrangement are for car parking for this event as I intend to bring a group of people from out of town to this.

From the odd bits of information I have there might not be parking available in the park this year :huh:

I can't believe I can find bog all info on this online, and I've not seen any posters for it either

There are better advertised village school fares :rant:

I'd have expected to find a minimum of a pdf poster online for starters

How the heck they expect the antiques roadshow thing to work with no advertising I don't know :rolleyes:

Does anybody know if there's a beer tent? Essential info for enticing some of my friends to attend!

I agree the publicity for this is poor - I live 2 minutes walk from the park gates and if it wasn't for being mentioned on here I'd be none the wiser.

There was a beer tent last year but they sold out pretty quickly!!! Not that I needed a pint .... but hubby did ;o))

Hi

In answer to your questions...

- yes there will be a beer tent which shouldn't run out of beer! :cool:

- there is no on site car parking for events now, as we had our football pitches redeveloped. However this is not a permit parking area, so visitors can park on the surrounding roads no problem. Please park with consideration for our neighbours. :D

- For a programme of what is happening at the weekend please email: centreinthepark@sheffield.gov.uk and we can email you a programme of information and poster for the event with directions. ;)

For further detailed information on the reenactment please visit the following website: http://www.eventplan.co.uk and look under "events 2010". :)

p.s. don't know what the antiques roadshow thing is about??

Thanks. :)

Edited by s2 group
additonal comment

Hi

- there is no on site car parking for events now, as we had our football pitches redeveloped. However this is not a permit parking area, so visitors can park on the surrounding roads no problem. Please park with consideration for our neighbours. :D

There are trams and buses that can get you too the park - parking is tight round the area.

I know because I live round there.

Edited by Andy
Fixed quote tags

Hi Guys.

If you are off to The Sheffield Fayre, please drop into The Uni Arms on Aug 28th and support some great local acts all raising money for Oxfam.

Oxjam has been organised by volunteers and will run from 1 til 5. It's only £3 on the door and will be a great afternoon.

Don't forget to bring the sunshine and support Oxjam!

Here you go Strix http://www.eventsheffield.co.uk/event/11792/sheffield-fayre

But still no info about parking, I've even phoned them up and they don't know :loopy:

Thanks :) but I have seen that page. There's no mention of whether the dog show is running or not for starters, and no parking info

Previous years have been fantastic, but it's all run as though it's some big secret that they don't want people to attend :huh:

For further detailed information on the reenactment please visit the following website: http://www.eventplan.co.uk and look under "events 2010". :)

p.s. don't know what the antiques roadshow thing is about??

Thanks. :)

direct link: http://www.eventplan.co.uk/2010_events.htm (though that still has next to no info on what's going on)

sorry, I can't remember which site mentioned the antiques thing

Will the army be bringing their toys along again too? the rolling climbing wall is ace :D