Whats your best Robert de Niro film ?

Looking at some of these excellent threads here on films, prompted me to ask, if you had to name your best Robert de Niro film - which one would you choose ?

For me, it's a tricky one, as he very rarely makes any carp films, but I think I'm finally settled on 'Heat' with Al Pacino, Val Kilmer, Jon Voigt etc.

What's your best one ?

Heat

Frankenstein

Midnight Run

Probably missed loads of others out , but they're my current faves in order.

Taxi Driver. I like the fact that (like most De Niro characters) Bickle doesn't undergo any personal development, there's no character arc or growth. He stays more or less the same throughout the entire film, and it ends on a slightly amibiguous note. I get the impression that not long after the film ends, he'll probably wind up doing it all over again.

I'm also a massive fan of The King of Comedy (another Scorsese film and one which I think is much under-rated), The Godfather II, Midnight Run, The Deer Hunter, Once Upon a Time in America....

Damn, he's made a load of classic films over the years.

Yep, some excellent films there, although, as I've got so used to seeing him in a particular persona, I do have a little problem seeing him in some comedy films, (apart from meet the fockers!! :D - that was brilliant :D )

How about Cape Fear ? There were a couple bits with the girl that left me feeling slightly uneasy, but hey, what absolutely fantastic acting from de Niro.

Thinking about what my favourites are, I really can't narrow it down. So I'll just say anything that he made from 1973 (Mean Streets) to 1998 (Ronin). After that there are only a few notable appearances that I would watch again.

Thinking about what my favourites are, I really can't narrow it down. So I'll just say anything that he made from 1973 (Mean Streets) to 1998 (Ronin). After that there are only a few notable appearances that I would watch again.

Mean Streets, that's another good one - may have to go to play.com to actually buy it !

A bit of a thread drift - but seeing Adam Sandler in your sig, reminded me of the type of actor he is, I actually haven't rated him that much, imho, the best film of his that I thought great was Big Daddy.

How about the other actor in Big Daddy - Stephen Bu.... - difficult one to spell, especially this time of the morning ;-) He's a cracking actor, he's done some very good parts, the one he did in Reservoir dogs was brilliant as well.

Anyway, I digress :D

Mean Streets, that's another good one - may have to go to play.com to actually buy it !

A bit of a thread drift - but seeing Adam Sandler in your sig, reminded me of the type of actor he is, I actually haven't rated him that much, imho, the best film of his that I thought great was Big Daddy.

How about the other actor in Big Daddy - Stephen Bu.... - difficult one to spell, especially this time of the morning ;-) He's a cracking actor, he's done some very good parts, the one he did in Reservoir dogs was brilliant as well.

Anyway, I digress :D

Big Daddy was seriously sucky (in my opinion), as are the majority of Sandlers so called comedies. I have only liked him in three films to date. They are:- Punch Drunk Love, Reign Over Me, and the recent Funny People (in which he basically plays himself....flaws and all).

Now Steve Buscemi - he's great in most films I've seen him in, and does the support role to perfection.

Big Daddy was seriously sucky (in my opinion), as are the majority of Sandlers so called comedies. I have only liked him in three films to date. They are:- Punch Drunk Love, Reign Over Me, and the recent Funny People (in which he basically plays himself....flaws and all).

Now Steve Buscemi - he's great in most films I've seen him in, and does the support role to perfection.

I don't think I've seen those 3 Adam Sandlers films, but I personally did like Big Daddy. I thought Click was excellent as well.

I guess my favourite would be Jackie Brown, as he is playing a very different character than he usually does. Like a lot of top Hollywood actors you get a feeling that the actors stop acting and just play themselves in a role. In Jackie Brown though I get more of a sense that de Niro is actually acting. I also love the King of Comedy.

I don't like him at all. Was he Serpico? I did like him in Ronin so please ignore the first sentence.