Thornseat Lodge, Bradfield - Know anything about it?

Hello there, can anyone shed some light on this for me (and the wife).

For years now I've travelled along the Strines Road from Midhopestones to the start of the Snake Pass near the Yorkshire Bridge. Along this road, around two thirds of the way, near the turn off for Low Bradfield is an almost derelict property. Looks like an old Manor house or similar. Next to it is a fairly boring looking detached house with 'Wardens Cottage' on the gate post. The big house has a sign calling it 'Thornseat Lodge' I think. We've slowly watched the big place deteriorate and just wandered what the reason for letting it get into such a state might be. Also, does the house have any history? Its a great looking place, wish I was in a position to buy a place like that!! Anyway, just thought I'd see if anyone had any info?

gain entry through an unsecure door or window, get squatter's rights and rescue the place!!

I believe it used to be a childrens home back in the 1930's. There are several archived posts from past discussions on this forum. Google thornsett lodge and you will find them.

I have seen this place and it's such a shame that it's just being left to go to wrack and ruin.

There are also a couple of threads relating to Thornseat Lodge, on the

History and ex Pats section of this forum.

If you do a search it will put them up for you.

i was also at thornseat in 1980. I also remember norma .pete.and john vickory.who died with his girlfriend from the fumes of his gas fire .

It was still a childrens' home in the 70's. I worked there. I took a job as it was going to be an intermediate treatment centre where kids from the city could spend short times away from the pressures of their environment. Unfortunately it became a long stay home and I did not feel it right that kids from the city were living in a false environment long term when they would have to return to their natural home one day. In those days the place was impressive. The office was called the cedar room because it was just that, floor, walls and ceiling, all cedar and when you entered it you could smell it. There were intricate carvings all round and in each corner was a carving of the head of William Jessop. The lounge had a big open fireplace at one end and that was also hand carved with hunting scenes. Unfortunately, someone had stripped the varnish from it and the wood had dried out and was starting to crack. I had a room which looked straight down the valley to Sheffield, wonderful. Never used them but there were snow shoes in the cellar incase of being snowed in. The maintenance man was a wonderful local man with a wonderful name "Mr Merryweather". So sad to see the place go to rack and ruin, the owner should be ashamed.

I think that children from Sheffield were evacuated here during the war.

I remember being out in the car some years ago with the ex and his parents...and his mother saying she had been placed there.....seems totally logical....anyone know anything about kids being evacuated there???

Found this article.

Seems it is owned by the same person who owns the derelect Bradfield Water Works building (which isn't to far from Thornseats Lodge)....and the School House (is that the one which is now a restaurant??)

WHY would someone buy properties like these and then let them rot.

More money than sense!!! :rant:

Though now on further reading on it I am wondering if I have the right place concerning my ex's mother.....damn my ageing mind :hihi:

The info says it was turned into a Children's Home in the 1930's....so in that respect it could have been the place.....

Intriguing. :D