Can anyone tell me about the Grand Hotel?

Can anyone give me any information about the Grand Hotel in Sheffield.......my husbands father was the Head Waiter there until his death in 1952, we are just doing the Sheffield part of the family tree and would love to know anything about the Grand.

my ex husband was a fireman,when the grand hotel was being demolished the fire brigade were called out, he picked up a plastic key ring which measured 2"x4" which said grand hotel sheffield ,with a square for a postage stamp in case anyone forgot to leave the key they could pop it in the postbox to be returned,i think the room no was something like 405.can you imagine posting a key for a top hotel with the room no on, in the post, anyhow for yrs i had the poshest shed in town because the address was room 405,grand hotel sheffield.

Thankyou very much for that info......................I have found a old picture on one of the web sites. Can you tell me when in was demolished :-(

well he joined the fire brigade around 1970 and was based at division st, he was only at division for about 2 yrs he then went to rivelin,so i would hazard a guess it was somewhere between1970/1 to 1973/4

Can you tell me what is on the site now? If anything?

The Grand Hotel was just that....THE hotel in Sheffield....

My family came across from Ireland in the "bad" winter - ('62?) to join my dad who was already "living" at the Grand, courtesy of his employer.

The hotel was really "the place to stay", but unfortunately (because of the reputation) most of the staff tended to look down on customers...It was a case of "The Ritz" of Sheffield....

The lower ground floor was a gents' barbers, with half a dozen (+?) seats.....In the days of extreme politeness, with "anything for the weekend, sir?" thrown in......!

When demolished (mid sixties?) the site became the Buccaneer bar, before changing to the Pig and Whistle if memory serves me...

then the fountain bar,i think it has some obscure name now.

Originally posted by roughy101

then the fountain bar,i think it has some obscure name now.

yer..... the fountain (bar bit dropped) - hardly obscure

Noooo, between time of fountain bar and fountain, i know its the fountain now,but somewhere between maybe around the millenium it had some obscure name. or so my daughter says,and shes younger than me(i hope)

Here's some info. about the band at the grand in the 60'S:

Piano and leader: Winston Lee

Bass: maybe Len Stewart

Drums: Tony Oxley

Tenor sax: Bunny Harrison

Trumpet: Ray Hollingsworth