Mitsubishi Outlander question

Hi daughter thinking of getting one petrol/ electric hybrid 155 miles per gallon is this true . If the battery runs out how long does it takes to charge on petrol driving or does it kick in and kick out ... what’s the average mpg ? How much is a new battery if the battery goes ... anything else you might think will help on decision making cheers Doug

No of course 155MPG is not true, total nonsense in the real world.

It does about 15-20 miles on the battery alone, then the engine does about 30MPG.

There is some energy recovery/charging when the car is moving, but not enough to significantly charge the battery over a normal journey.

The battery has a ten year warranty, if it needs replacing after that chances are the cost will be more than the value of the car.

Edited by geared

Different car but, We have a BMW 330e petrol hybrid. Does about 20-25 electric alone.

In auto when it decides which power to use in general use returns about 60mpg.

When battery is flat general charging is mainly when lift off of accelerator or under braking, battery only gets up to about 15% then the car starts using it again, it goes flat, rinse and repeat. But as I say adds up to about 60mpg. Which is not bad for what is essentially a fast compact saloon.

Would make sense as a company car because of tax, or a lease.

Hi daughter thinking of getting one petrol/ electric hybrid 155 miles per gallon is this true . If the battery runs out how long does it takes to charge on petrol driving or does it kick in and kick out ... what’s the average mpg ? How much is a new battery if the battery goes ... anything else you might think will help on decision making cheers Doug

Had an Outlander PHEV brand new kept it for three years (Government contract). They drive nice, comfortable to sit in, tyres lasted for 34000 miles and they will tow a caravan. A good all round estate car.

As for 155 to the gallon, absolute rubbish. Do the maths. On electric never achieved the 33 mile they are supposed to do, more like 25 maximum in the real world. On petrol, they are a heavy car so about 30/35 driven carefully.

So, one gallon of juice will give you 35 miles at best. Electric will give you 25 miles. If you use the battery charge button, it will reduce the petrol 30/35 miles down to high 20's. It takes 50/60 minutes of driving to charge the battery by the engine. So to be generous you have,

35 on petrol + 25 on electric + 15 or so on regen by the car. So in the real world driven with a right foot used like a feather your max would be 75 miles, absolute max. Believe me this is the MAX, I would go for 55/65 in normal driving use.

Charging, at home using a dedicated charger around 4 hours. On a motorway service station using the fast charge, 20/25 minutes - but they only charge to around 80%, it takes a long time to put the last 20% in so they want you away quickly so limit the charge to 80%. Here is the bad news, when we got our PHEV in 2015, the fast charge 80% at any establishment who had them were FREE, yes free. I now hear that the Government have pulled the plug and a payment is required now. That has taken the gloss off the electric car I think.

We were told that using the fast charge ALL THE TIME could eventually damage the battery. We were also told they have a five year lifespan, replacement at a cost of £5000.

All of a sudden the electric/hybrid doesn't look like the bargain that the Government tells us they are. Maybe when all makes of car have a battery that will deliver 400/500 miles to a charge, they will be worth having. But that will be in the future some time.

Angel1

In addition (if it's a concern to the OP) I would check what the re-sale value might be in 3-5 years time.