Backup BT Yahoo emails

How can i do this? Im cutting all ties with BT and so will soon lose my email account but i need to back up some important emails.

Ive tried to do it but cant seem to work it out. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

I'm not sure how many are involved, but if it's not that many, couldn't you just email them to yourself at your new email address?

Yahoo email allows access by pop or imap, so use a desktop email client (like outlook express, or an equivalent) to download the entire mailbox.

---------- Post added 18-05-2015 at 11:11 ----------

Some details about the settings here

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6876/~/what-are-the-bt-yahoo-mail-and-bt-yahoo-premium-mail-settings%3F

Cheers Cyclone. I installed thunderbird and it seems easy enough apart from i cant find any way to access my saved folders.

Its really frustrating and im well hacked off with BT for messing with the config of my email account. Theyve made a right dogs dinner of it and now most of the links tabs and buttons wont work. Having tried to resolve it with BT their only response is 'Yahoo did it'. Which is pathetic because its BT who i pay for the account!!!!!

As soon as i can access my saved folders and get to my all my emails im ditching B flaming T for good so if youve any ideas how i can get to the other emails id be very grateful.

Does the POP download ignore all the emails that aren't in the inbox?

If so, I'd try configuring it with IMAP and see if it replicates the folder structure.

Failing that, you might have to move all the emails back into your inbox and download them using the client, then refile them... Maybe do it one folder at a time so that the filing is easier on the PC.

Does the POP download ignore all the emails that aren't in the inbox?

If so, I'd try configuring it with IMAP and see if it replicates the folder structure.

Failing that, you might have to move all the emails back into your inbox and download them using the client, then refile them... Maybe do it one folder at a time so that the filing is easier on the PC.

Thank you ill try reconfiguring first then if no joy ill try your other solution. I appreciate your help. On a sort of related note i was trying to work out why the tabs and buttons were no longer working so i disabled some software that i run when im on the internet. This software normally runs with no problems at all, in fact its been installed for several years with no adverse effect, however when i disabled it my inbox was flooded with 'emails' for Western union, dating sites and other dross. My inbox, my trash, spam, draft and even sent folders were the same. So i re-enabled the software and they were gone.

So it looks like some one is spamming BT Yahoo inbox's with pop up adds that are pretending to be emails.

I use a paid for yahoo account myself, and it all seems to be working fine at the moment.

They DO have a bad habit of changing things though and making them worse.

I would do one of 2 things...

Either move the emails back to your inbox and download them all to your PC using POP3. Once you've done this, you could either set up a new email account and have both the new email account and your archive of messages from BT listed under 2 seperate headings in your mail client, or you could possibly merge the emails from your BT account with emails from your new account (as long as you're using a mail client rather than webmail).

Alternatively, I would simply set up a new email account, set this up in your mail client and have your BT email added as a secondary account as an IMAP account. This way you could use your new account as your primary account and access emails from your BT account in the same application as and when you need.

If you do this, check the emails you have already downloaded are still on the server - can't remember the default thunderbird setting, but POP can be set to remove from the BT end or leave on the BT end, so you don't want to delete the current emails from Thunderbird if they have been deleted from the server.

It's on the account settings page of thunderbird, under server settings. There's a setting which says "leave messages on the server for at most XX days". If you uncheck this option and leave the option ticked that says "Until I delete them". This will leave the messages on the BT mail server in the event that you wanted to download them again at a later point, or wanted to access them through the webmail.

Click on the link below to see the screen I'm referring to.

http://www.chasms.com/thunderbird3/thunderbird245/set1.gif

If you do this, check the emails you have already downloaded are still on the server - can't remember the default thunderbird setting, but POP can be set to remove from the BT end or leave on the BT end, so you don't want to delete the current emails from Thunderbird if they have been deleted from teh server.

The implication is that the account will be deleted before too long anyway...

The moral of the story here is that customers should not regard their ISP as a storage facility for their emails. If they are important then they should be backed up by the owner of them. In this case, aside from downloading them in POP3 it would be easy enough to open an Outlook or GMail account and set it to pick up messages from the BT Yahoo one. All that needs to be done then is move all of the emails in folders to the Inbox and in time they will be picked up in the new account.

Having Outlook, Gmail or whatever pick up messages from the main email address mail box is a useful backup.