Elite: Dangerous

Oh my god I just did a little sex wee when I found out Braban and frontier developments are creating a new Elite. I don't know how I have missed this. I literally wasted my entire youth on frontier.

Can't wait for this!!!!

http://elite.frontier.co.uk/

I thought I was the only one. :-) Only a year to go. Haven't looked this forward to a game for ages. Hope its not a let down. Last game I looked forward to was Sim City and we all know how that ended.

HAHA same here with Sim City but it's not a bad game just not as good as expected. Elite should be quality though, I too have very high expectations based on the old game.

I backed the kickstarter project for this near the start and, for a long while, it wasn't obviously going to make its target. But then there was a massive upsurge near the end and it flew through. Very pleased. I reckon they'll make a decent go at the this, since otherwise there really was no reason to do it at all.

cant wait for this to come out, playing this on the commadore 64 for hours on end, happy days!!!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I take it you've all been playing Oolite whilst waiting.

What would make a new Elite (a space based ,trading, Pirating, fighting, alliance) game any different to EVE online (a space based ,trading, Pirating, fighting, alliance game)?

I should say I have played both.

Edited by XXTickerXX

What would make a new Elite (a space based ,trading, Pirating, fighting, alliance) game any different to EVE online (a space based ,trading, Pirating, fighting, alliance game)?

I should say I have played both.

Having a 3D scanner that works. ;)

I've only played Elite so I'm not really qualified to comment. Here's a summary of the differences from reply when someone asked a similar question to yours on the Frontier forum:

Having played EVE online and wasted a fair amount of time and money in the process I can conclusively say that Elite is an entirely different, far more immersive and massively more involving experience. EVE in my opinion suffers from the whole point and click gameplay mechanic and combat has no real immediacy. I think EVEs strength is in it's social medium, corporations and their members create the dynamic that makes EVE really successful. Elite is probably closer to playing an RPG where you define your campaign objectives, where you decide on your success levels and ultimately where you become the central character in your story. Unlike EVE it does not take being part of a corp nor does it take days upon days of upskilling, grinding away mining and attempting to decipher the vast spreadsheets of the trading/manufaturing/supply/demand systems.

Elite has an immediacy that EVE can't touch IMO. EVE is damn pretty, has some great imagination put into its environments but ultimately in my eyes and my experience doesn't allow for my individual experience to be overly special.

Having a 3D scanner that works. ;)

I've only played Elite so I'm not really qualified to comment. Here's a summary of the differences from reply when someone asked a similar question to yours on the Frontier forum:

Couldn't of said it better my self! Quoting your quote of course.

Aside from all the other differences is EVE not turn based when it comes to combat. I would say that's a pretty big difference.

---------- Post added 08-05-2013 at 13:40 ----------

I take it you've all been playing Oolite whilst waiting.

I have been playing Pioneer of late (a fan remake of frontier: elite with better graphics). It's pretty decent but it seems to have lost something. Can't quite put my finger on it.

http://pioneerspacesim.net/

Worth a play though if you liked the original.

Are they planning to support the Oculus, à la EVR?