Davys in Sheffield - Paternoster Row

Hi,

Is there anyone out there that used to work in the offices at Arthur Davy's.

I worked there from around 1960-1963.

It was a lovely old place to work...very old fashioned. Every one had their full title of Miss...or ...Mrs.... and Mr....

The Manager at that time was Mr Willows. Other top people were Mr Street,

Mr Scholes, Mr Beresford...can't bring anymore to mind just now!!

I remember the Christmas parties...good times.

I still have the wedding gift that everyone gave money towards for me.

Cal.:help::help:

does anyone remember Davy's Bakery and shops in sheffield

Edited by gazza c

Do you mean "Davys"?

If so, "yes" - especially the big one in town, approximately where W H Smith is now, and the small shop at the bottom of Middlewood Road, just round the corner from the Hillsborough Inn - however, my mum and my Nan preferred Styans (?) across the road, so we didn't patronise that Davy's very often.

Edited by susie1
Spelling

Mmmmmm..... Davy's whipped cream brandy snaps were yummy!.:love:.Here's a link to a picturesheffield.com photo of their Fargate shop with the café upstairs.

does anyone remember Davies Bakery and shops in sheffield

I remember Davys very well in the late 50s I was a driver-salesman at the Don Bakery who along with Davys were bought out and swallowed up by Sunblest.For a time we sold a lot of their products,sausage.polony,black pudding,potted meat and of course their famous pork pies,it wouldn,t be allowed now as we didn,t have refridgerated side cupboards.Like all buy outs everything was spoiled and gradually the business went down the pan,which was the intention buy out the competition and prosper!.:roll::huh:

It was always good to meet friends outside Davy's............t he smell of roast coffee beans......................mmmm!

Do you mean "Daveys"?

If so, "yes" - especially the big one in town, approximately where W H Smith is now, and the small shop at the bottom of Middlewood Road, just round the corner from the Hillsborough Inn - however, my mum and my Nan preferred Styans (?) across the road, so we didn't patronise that Daveys very often.

Exactly where W H Smith is now. It's the same building.

is there anyone out there that used to work at davy's bakers at the factory on paternoster row between 1959-1973. my father in law bill froggatt used to work in the maintainence depot

I once worked at Davy's (correct spelling, I think) bakery located nr the Midland Station as a student during the Christmas vacation. Early 60s. Students worked the night shift, filling pork pies with liquid gelatin. To do this, you filled the pies one at a time using a large metal hypodermic syringe device. What automation.

I remember being talen to Davy's main shop in Sheffield and also the one in the square in Rotherham. My Grandmother was an ardent fan of Davys, and on her weekely visits from Swallownest to either Sheffield or Rotherham, I always sent to one of them for lunch with her. If she was still shopping by late afternoon we went again for coffee and cakes. That would be about 1945/6 to about 1951, by which time I hade found ,ore interesting thinghs for a 11 year old to do. My specific memeory of that time, and later years, being the beautifull smell of the coffee beans roasting, and wafting down the street. Probably explains my continuing love of strong full flavoured coffee from then until now. Grey Eminence - Subang Jaya, State of Selangor, Malaysia

does anyone remember Davy's Bakery and shops in sheffield

My father worked there for years and we lived in the flat above Davy"s at page hall for a number of years nice flat and area never got any discount though !:huh:

i worked in the bakery on Paternoster Row between 1966 and 1969 in the Confec. Dept and also the Bakehouse. I used to hang around with some girls called Maureen, Rita and Kathy. i remember there was a lad called Glen who used to make the eclaires and was always singing 'Bend Me Shape Me' at the top of his voice. Trevor and Andy used to do the mixes. There was no such thing as Health and Safety then. We used to totter around in our big cork wedge heels with our overalls up our backsides. Our turban would be sat as far back on our heads as possible, Our lunch break would be spent in the howard pub!! Ah those were the days lol......