Sunday trading restrictions suspended - Are Sheffield stores open longer?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18942729

Sunday trading laws in England and Wales have been suspended until the end of the Olympics and Paralympics.

The government said being able to open longer on a Sunday would help retailers generate tens of millions of pounds in increased profits during London 2012.

Shop staff will retain the right to opt out of working on a Sunday.

But the Association of Convenience Stores said the big supermarkets would lure customers away from smaller shops, costing them millions in lost sales.

So, do you know if any of Sheffield's stores are taking advantage of these changes? Or is it business as usual?

Asda in woodseats and Aldi at Millhouses both have signs up saying they are opening longer.

meadowhall will be

You're right. Meadowhall's website says they are open between 10am - 6pm on Sundays until 9 September.

You're right. Meadowhall's website says they are open between 10am - 6pm on Sundays until 9 September.
just remember this andy im never wrong :thumbsup:

With shops open 7 days a week and till late every weekday do we really need more time to shop?

Shopworkers already work very long hours and the current laws allow them to at least have some of Sunday wih their family extending them it totally unnesessary. outside London.

do shop workers who work weekends get time and half/double time or is this another erosion of workers pay and conditions ?

do shop workers who work weekends get time and half/double time or is this another erosion of workers pay and conditions ?

No its very rare for them to get any extra these days let alone double time it is usually just treated as part of the normal working week and the idea that it should be optional does not happen in the real world with pressure by employers for staff to work it and not "opt out"

When I was a shop worker 15 years ago Sundays were optional and paid at double time. However this changed just after I left the company and although it was still voluntary Sundays were only paid at standard rate. I think it depends on the employer.

It's the same pay as week days

John Lewis in town will be open 10:30 - 5:00 which is just an extra 30 minutes

I personally think it is quite sad that shops are going to be open so late on sundays, and inevitably I suspect it will eventually become the norm. And in the future people will think we were backward trying to keep sunday as a quieter day.