Honey Bees At Hillsborough Corner

Did anybody else the see wicker bee hive complete with bees that were left on the flower tubs at Hillsborough corner yesterday. One local resident insisted they were honey bees and had been left there by the Environmental Health dept.

I'm not sure about that, maybe they had swarmed from elsewhere and were being collected.

You sure they were bees?

Well I didn't get a good look at them, there was quite a swarm. What else might they have been?

Well I didn't get a good look at them, there was quite a swarm. What else might they have been?

Not sure, but there are other insects that to the untrained eye (and maybe at a distance?) could easily be mistaken for bees.

True, wasps, hover flies and blue bottles in stripey jumpers, but I don't think any of them have wicker hives.

I saw the bees as I got off the tram. They had been dumped on top of some white sheeting in the second flower tub. There was a large, wicker type receptical that looked very like a hive and a large number of bees coming in and out and swarming round. Families with young children who were coming home from school were crossing the road to avoid them as there were so many buzzing around. A man was stood nearby and I asked him if he had any idea where they had come from. He told me a man from the environmental health department had dumped them there!

Edited by FairyNormal

He also told me not to worry as they were honey bees and therefore wouldn't sting me!! :loopy:

True, wasps, hover flies and blue bottles in stripey jumpers, but I don't think any of them have wicker hives.

You reckon the bees wove their own wicker hive?:huh:

Maybe the hive was in actual fact a strangely shaped wicker picnic basket, full of jam sandwiches ... that'd certainly explain the 'bee/other kind of flying insect' profusion. To my way of thinking, that would be the most logical/sensible conclusion. :)

Guest sibon

Fluffy wasps do. Quite often.

...Maybe the hive was in actual fact a strangely shaped wicker picnic basket, full of jam sandwiches ... that'd certainly explain the 'bee/other kind of flying insect' profusion. To my way of thinking, that would be the most logical/sensible conclusion. :)

Enough of this disinformation. It was a botched space mission using a wicker rocketship manned by wasps, and you know it.

I saw the bees as I got off the tram. They had been dumped on top of some white sheeting in the second flower tub. There was a large, wicker type receptical that looked very like a hive and a large number of bees coming in and out and swarming round. Families with young children who were coming home from school were crossing the road to avoid them as there were so many buzzing around. A man was stood nearby and I asked him if he had any idea where they had come from. He told me a man from the environmental health department had dumped them there!

There's the clincher! The white sheet was a table cloth put down by the 'bees/other type of flying insect', before feasting on the yummy jam sandwiches packed in the hive shaped wicker picnic basket (woven by themselves)

Was there any evidence of very small cups and saucers, I wonder?

Enough of this disinformation. It was a botched space mission using a wicker rocketship manned by wasps, and you know it.

What a ridiculous thing to suggest! Everyone knows that wasps suffer from vertigo after 6'6'' altitudes. Wicker (rocket shaped) baskets have a propensity to spontaneously combust on re-entry too. :rolleyes:

Mind you ... 'Buzz' Aldrin, 'Lightyear'? ... hmmm ...