Sheffield Star- job cuts and its future- MEGATHREAD

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/keeping-the-steel-city-of-sheffield-up-to-date-since-1887-1-4620618

THE Star has been bringing readers across South Yorkshire the stories that matter for 125 years - with its proud heritage taking in the most momentous events in recent history.

The Star is 125 today!

Are we sure that's accurate, It is the Star reporting this after all.

Could be 12.5 years and they just forgot the decimal point (I joke, I know it's older) :hihi:

Strangely forgot to mention that they've just made their Assistant Editor redundant.

Are you sure it doesn't mean it's gone up to £1.25

I've heard they're naming an EMT train The Sheffield Star.

Any idea if it's after the paper or is there a different Sheffield Star it's been named after?

What the goshdarn heck has happened to The Star Online? This used to be a forum for lively and controversial debate about local stories, encompassing views from across the political spectrum; BNP members right through to militant Trotskyites. People exchanged opinions, insults and accusations in a very invigorating and entertaining manner, but recently, hardly any stories are accepting comments and the only one which has done (about the binmens's strike) has had the seven comments removed. I know they are re-vamping the site, but this seems to be a timid undermining of free speech.

Has The Star decided to take a leaf from someone elses book? No names, but you don't need to look around too much.

The Star offer a FREE service and Muppets abuse it therefore The Star remove the privilege thus spoiling the overall experience for everyone else!. Why should they risk the possibility of legal implications due to idiots posting insulting or libelous nonsense on their site?

I used to read the comments on the sports section a while back until I got a grasp of the type of people who comment on there, "scraped off the bottom of a shoe" and "pond slime" come to mind.

What's happened on the star website? Why? Have they managed to spell something correctly, or have they reported something accurately?

The Star website has recently become a mugshot album for the Jeremy Kyle Show

Pfft.. The Star nicks most of its "news" items off here anyway I bet.

And most of the "comments" on their website are from people on here.

Comments were disabled on the website due to some minor technical issues. These have since been resolved and comments are now allowed again.

And Rich, The Star really doesn't "nick most of its 'news' items off here".