Sheffield Star- job cuts and its future- MEGATHREAD

I am in The Star this week - I get a mention in the coverage of the Olympic Torchbearers. You wouldn't know though, they got my name totally wrong. Sigh.

And that, in a nutshell, is why The Star, Radio Sheffield and probably Look North and Calendar are finished.

It's not just that the 'web has made news stories accessible, it's the content. All due respect, Brunette, but with the world in flux, wars, politics, economics etc. who - apart from you and your immediate circle of friends - is remotely bothered about you carrying a torch? Again, no disrespect intended, but the 'Man bites dog at Hackenthorpe'-type story no longer cuts it as semi-serious media.

And that, in a nutshell, is why The Star, Radio Sheffield and probably Look North and Calendar are finished.

It's not just that the 'web has made news stories accessible, it's the content. All due respect, Brunette, but with the world in flux, wars, politics, economics etc. who - apart from you and your immediate circle of friends - is remotely bothered about you carrying a torch? Again, no disrespect intended, but the 'Man bites dog at Hackenthorpe'-type story no longer cuts it as semi-serious media.

I disagree. Any old fool can get mentioned on a website but that fame is neither permanent nor noteworthy, whereas to get mentioned in print or on TV is far more meaningful. Not so long back, parents would keep scrapbooks of their child's achievements and if they were mentioned in print anywhere - be it the school magazine, or a local newspaper, that cutting would be pasted into the scrapbook and cherished for years to come.

I know it's fashionable to sneer at the printed word on internet forums but as Wardsbitter said earlier in this thread, the Star and the Telegraph still have a role to play in keeping local people informed. A significant number of people - especially the older generation - have no access to ( and no interest in) the internet.

So Johnson press are closing all their callcentres in England and moving the operation to Sheffield? Where is this mystical callcentre that will provide hundreds of local jobs? I don't think York Steet can be big enough to house all those people? Then what happens when they transfer it all to a cow shed in Calcutta?

Most likely, "Sheffield" in this context means "Barn off Sheffield Parkway" as usual.

That blog post was published Friday 13 April 2012. I'd guess this has already happened now>