The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

So why are the majority of remainers on here advocating for a second referendum if we don't need one?

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

So why are the majority of remainers on here advocating for a second referendum if we don't need one?

I guess it's thought that it will be easier on Leave supporters if the move is reversed as a result of a vote.

My view is that the referendum didn't oblige us to trigger Article 50, especially with such a narrow result, therefore we don't need a referendum to reverse it, just the political courage to put the country first. Also as every day goes by, the remain camp gets bigger and the leave one smaller. That will only continue as the forecasts continue and the costs rise.

There will always be a hard core of cranks, racists, xenophobes and far right ideologues who will scream and shout at their 'missed opportunity' but I don't really give a monkeys what they think.

I'm not sure a majority are

I guess it's thought that it will be easier on Leave supporters if the move is reversed as a result of a vote.

My view is that the referendum didn't oblige us to trigger Article 50, especially with such a narrow result, therefore we don't need a referendum to reverse it, just the political courage to put the country first. Also as every day goes by, the remain camp gets bigger and the leave one smaller. That will only continue as the forecasts continue and the costs rise.

There will always be a hard core of cranks, racists, xenophobes and far right ideologues who will scream and shout at their 'missed opportunity' but I don't really give a monkeys what they think.

Resorting to name calling ,again . Standard losers ploy

I'm not sure a majority are

The regular posters whom identify as remainers are...

Resorting to name calling ,again

Again?

I challenge you to find a single post of mine where I resort to name calling! :D

The regular posters whom identify as remainers are...

Have I ever said I wanted a second referendum?

Been reading this thread from day 1 and it's numerous follow-on's.

Obviously lot's of differing opinions from both sides of the fence. From what I gather those that voted remain are worried about the consequences after we leave the EU. But some remainers are adamant that we will have a second referendum due to the shifting public opinion.

What I don't understand is, if people are sure we will have a second referendum and the UK will vote remain (if given the second chance), then what's to worry about?

It’s far from certain when several dozen hardline MPs are holding both main Parties ransom and would happily drive us off a cliff. That’s the worrying bit.

The argument works the other way too. If leavers really believe that leaving is the will of the people then why fear a second vote.

Edited by I1L2T3

have we ever in our history, had a second vote due to the shifting public opinion?

The reason for that is that the two previous votes returned such a positive vote one way or the other that public opinion did not shift.

1975 EEC Referendum Yes 67% No 32%

2011 ATV Referendum Yes 32% No 68%

2016 EU Referendum Yes 48% No 52%

The majority in the first two was 35% and 36%. In 2016 it was less than 4% and in less than a year this had reversed.

Not having done something before is not an argument for not doing it again in exceptional circumstances.

My Bold

have we ever in our history, had a second vote due to the shifting public opinion?

Several times when we have had weak governments which were forced to go to the polls to try and retain / regain power.

1974 for example.

If Mayhem continues down the path she is on, she will lose the DUP support she gained through financial cosseting (aka bribery) and will have to go to the country.

If she goes to the country before we Brexit, then we will have a parliament elected who will put the brakes on Brexit (if the EU will allow it) until the car crash that is currently being delivered can be sorted on way or another.

At least in my opinion...

Several times when we have had weak governments which were forced to go to the polls to try and retain / regain power.

1974 for example.

If Mayhem continues down the path she is on, she will lose the DUP support she gained through financial cosseting (aka bribery) and will have to go to the country.

If she goes to the country before we Brexit, then we will have a parliament elected who will put the brakes on Brexit (if the EU will allow it) until the car crash that is currently being delivered can be sorted on way or another.

At least in my opinion...

My Bold

Fair point But, that was not due to the shifting public opinion.it was due to trying gaining an overall majority.

Everybody has different opinions?

some people want or think we will have one, Top Cat obviously thinks we dont. I havent said if we should have one either.