Thornseat Lodge, Bradfield - Know anything about it?

Hi Trev,

sorry about the delay in getting back to you but its been one of those months. Enough said. I'm pleased to hear you're trying to be positive. Keeping busy is definitely the right 'tonic' (hope that didn't sound 'glib'?). What else can we do but keep 'going on'. I'm sure thats what Pam would have wanted. She seems like she was a really cool lady. 40 years1 I'll bet you have some fantastic memories Trev? I was lucky, after being widowed and divorced I met my current partner Adele and I couldn't be happier. Cest la vie! I used to live in Holborn when I was working at the Cockpit Theatre so I know / or rather knew Islington quite well; although I never knew of any children's homes in the area; then again why would I? I was down there a few months ago and couldn't believe how much it had changed. I remembered it as quite an 'exclusive' area back then but these days it seems far more vibrant and 'cosmopolitan' . Anyway, before this turns in to a 19c novel I'd better sign off. Before I go I don't drink alcohol anymore, but I'd be more than happy to meet for a 'coffee' sometime. However, it doesn't bother me if others have a drink so if thats your tipple I'd be happy to meet in a pub of your choosing; whenever you're so inclined. It's been a pleasure chatting with you Trev. I wish you the very best. Martin

Hi Martin, I used to work in Holborn in the mid 70's. What did you do at the Cockpit and when were you there? I used to sing in a country band and we used to some big shows including .....wait for it....Theatre Royal Drury Lane, that was quite an experience. You're right, Pam was a hell of lady, political activist, social worker, nurse (got her degree in her 60th year), nurse educator, counsellor and one heck of a wife, mother, grandmother, friend etc. Glad you found someone again, be happy, be well.

Cheers Trev.

On 8/25/2008 at 11:36 AM, scrapper said:

i was also at thornseat in 1980. I also remember norma .pete.and john vickory.who died with his girlfriend from the fumes of his gas fire .

john died in a housefire caysed by a chip pan he was engaged to my sister at the time she wasnt ther he was alone  with his dog who was outside barking her head off to get bc in , i also was ther 79/80

On 11/30/2016 at 5:18 PM, mmitchell said:

1984 I was in Thrnseats but the male teacher we had with a beard was called Pat but he was not American , I also remember Norma very nice lady, and the other staff that I can remember was Alan a Geordie, a tall dark haired woman called Sam who came from Shirecliffe homes, Ruth who was the cook and I think she lived if I remember correctly in between Thornseats and Bradfield in a big house overlooking a dam John who sadly died and he had a black dog who was called Bess I think who had to be put to sleep after his death. If i can think of any other names etc I'll be back.

hi john was engaged to my sister , and yes bess had to be put to sleep , she couldnt cope weout john bless her i was in thornseat myself 79/80

thornseat lodge, wow wat a place , its really strange as been 40 yrs since i was in ther and lately  have been having dreams about the place reminiscing , loved it there, experienced loads of things while ther was taught alot, staff wer brilliant ,met some good friends , met my 1st love there and gt pregnant with my 1st child , all at thornseat , i went back to visit few yr lata saw pete linacre and his wife helen an little girl rachel still liveing up ther , neva eva felt the hauntings though must admit , all happy  times , bit creepy , we all used to go for midnight walks down to village , for the laugh haha , staff used to go mad , aww good times loved that place , went past it few months ago hardly hardly recognised it , so sad wen such a beautiful building like that is left to ruins , if only i won lottery 😊

• Like 1

On 31/12/2018 at 20:16, scoobydooo said:

hi john was engaged to my sister , and yes bess had to be put to sleep , she couldnt cope weout john bless her i was in thornseat myself 79/80

Some great memories.

Edited by mmitchell

Remember a Guy called John [Pope John] he came to live in Wharncliffe Side sadly passed away,I went to  Loxley  School an some came there from Thornsett Lodge remember a girl called Ann cant remember her surname.

Can’t quote Bargepole for some reason but I have been going to Thornseat since I was 15 (I’m 32 now) it was my happy place, my sanctuary. I’m an autistic woman and it has been my ‘special interest’ for years. I used to skive school and walk 2 hours to sit in that house and write stories, away from the bullies and in my own little world listening to the wind whistle through the trees.
It was on the market last year and I could have afforded to buy it and live in a caravan next to it for a few years until I could restore it but chose to buy a regular house as a safer option instead. I regret not choosing Thornseat.

The Hagues took it off the market and are turning it into the wedding venue as Bargepole said, and to say I’m heartbroken is an understatement, especially after seeing that hideous modern extension.
One on side I’m happy it will still be standing for years to come, but my goal was to work my arse off for the next few years, sell my house and renovate Thornseat to how it looked back in the day, and live there with lots of rescue animals. It is my favourite place in the world, I always go there when I’m sad or need to think, and I’ve always called it my Wuthering Heights. 
I’m not going to bad mouth the family but I’ve heard a lot about them and I truly believe that Thornseat is meant to be a residential property, and deserves to be saved and loved by someone who is passionate about it and won’t use it as another money making venture. 
Luckily I have years of memories there, 4 photo shoots over the years and will never forget the eerie and wonderful things I experienced there. Thornseat will always be in my heart and it will always be my Wuthering Heights ❤️